Abandoned Steam, Photos & Stories

SteamachinesLD

Whenever I see pictures like this, it breaks my heart. It breaks it even more when I find that some rest in the U.S. and have not been saved. This locomotive is located near Skagway, Alaska. There are no plans to rescue it in any way.
Why not have a thread, with pictures and maybe a bit of history of all those old locomotives or mill engines resting in the woods?! Maybe even a rescue story!?

In the woods of Skagway.jpg

Liam:)

Re: Abandoned Steam, Photos & Storys

Thankfully someone removed the jacketing on this one. That may extend the time a little until hopefully someone may rescue it.
Gary

Beth V

I'd take it for a lawn ornament!:eek:..but I bet the trucking to MI would be beyond my ability....but I think I have some contacts in the steam locomotive world that could be of use..

Beth

oldironlindy

Subscriber

I know of two steam locomotives near my place that are sitting outside. I will see if I can get some pictures some day.

Eric W B

"I know of two steam locomotives near my place that are sitting outside. I will see if I can get some pictures some day."

Are these the ones your referring to? I wish the pictures were more clear.
The story I heard was the old boy worked for the Railroad and heard they were retiring these two to switch to more modern diesel locomotives. He asked if he could purchase them and the railroad agreed and built a switch onto his property which was just off the right of way. They steamed them into place and tore up the track, there they sit to this day...:(
He has NO interest in selling/ donating, many people have checked!

Attachments

Craig A

Staff member

^ Of COURSE nothing is for sale.......he's going to FIX it....... :O .......ALL of it....... :faint:

David

Subscriber

The larger of the two engines, ex-Minneapolis & St. Louis Railroad 471, was built in 1910 by Baldwin, and retired by the railroad in 1946. It was sold to C H. Klein Brick Co. at Chaska, MN that same year, and was out of service by 1956.

It was sold to the present owner around 1973, and trucked to its current site for a planned museum.

The black and white picture shows the engine in 1956, already stripped of its jewelry. The color picture is from 1965, and the picture with the cranes comes from a newspaper clipping in 1973.

While the current owner hasn't restored the engine, he most certainly saved it from the torch, which was its probable fate had he not stepped up and purchased it.

I don't know anything about the smaller engine.

David

Attachments

David

Subscriber

The other engine is a H.K. Porter 2-6-2T, built in 1911. It was in service at Coronet Phosphate Company at Polk City, Florida as their No. 5 until 1962. It was sold to the current owner in 1967.

Attachments

oldironlindy

Subscriber

Those are the ones. That is the story I heard too. I drive by them all the time and shed a tear for them once and a while.... I would like to run them down the tracks to my place but I woulden't have enough money to restore them either.

OTTO-Sawyer

Subscriber

...While the current owner hasn't restored the engine, he most certainly saved it from the torch, which was its probable fate had he not stepped up and purchased it....David
I think that is the most important part to remember.

Sure we'd all love to have them in our own yards, but so do the current owners or they wouldn't have bought them in the first place.

I too would love to take one on daily or weekly runs up and down the tracks.... but how realistic is it to think any of us (other than maybe a very small handfull of us) could ever accomplish that.

A lot of wishfull thinking, but at least they are still out there, preserved at least as well as they are, and haven't been torched up. A little more involved than restoring a car, truck, or tractor, and then even if you do restore it, where are you going to be able to run it when you want to, unless you belong to a large enough group to have some pull with the railroads.

Great pictures none the less, and thanks for sharing them & keeping the dreams alive ...

Last edited:

Casemaker

If I got one restored I would make arrangements to put with a musuem that had track. That way it could run once in a while.

SteamachinesLD

I found a page about this old sawmill on the web. It's an old bush mill near the U.S. Canadian border. The page I read from said that the pictures of the mill operating are from the summer 1987. This is the last time he knows of when the mill was working. What really got my attention was the pictures of the remains of the mill as they are today.
The original boiler is still there and since I don't know when the mill was torn down, at the maximum its been outside for 25 years. The engine cylinder is under some fallen boards or a wall or something and has been spared from the elements. From the picture, everything including the original governor is still there. The flywheel and crankshaft are outside, however.
Does anyone have any more recent photos or know if the engine and boiler are still there? Any additional pics would be nice. Does anyone think the boiler would still be good? Thanks!:)

Liam:wave:

Mike McKnight

That's an OLD steam engine-old boxbed made in the later 1800's probably-darn shame someone doesn't save it, at least! If it wasn't so darn far for me (or if money was a little thicker) I'd like to tackle it....unfortunately am not in shape to. :(
Mike M

SteamachinesLD

Mike,
I thought the exact same thing! When I first saw the pictures of the engine I got exited because I knew it wouldn't require intensive work to get her running again. When I found out it was in Canada, that really was disappointing! I'm amazed nobody has bought it yet! Hopefully someday, however, she'll steam again. When do you think it could have been built?:confused:

Liam:wave:

Mike McKnight

Liam,
The heyday of the box-bed style steam engine like that was from the 1850's thru the 1880's, although some builders (such as Erie & Nagle) kept building box-bed style engines until the early 1900's. If I had to guess, I'd say probably 1880's time frame for that engine. A lot of the earlier box-bed style engines (such as 1850's-1870's) had the valve chest mounted on top of the cylinder, as they thought if it was mounted on the side of the cylinder gravity would make the slide valve fall down, and wouldn't keep seated. :bonk: At least that's what I've been told was the reason it was done that way....later on they figured out that the steam pressure would be enough to keep it seated....and then engines were built with the valve chest on the side, and enabled the linkage from the eccentric to be made much simpler. Me-I wished I had one of those old engines with the valve chest on top-they're COOL! :cool: Ahh who am I kidding...I'd be happy with ANY box-bed! :D

Mike M

G Willikers

Sponsor

It is a Waterous boiler - Brantford, Ontario. Maybe even a complete Waterous outfit as they made saw mills as well?
G.