• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in the blanks. - IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, ENTER YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

About Time for an Engine Video

Scotty 2

Registered
Also the blue contraption in the back ground is that a seed cleaner or thresher? Great to see working display
The corn sheller. Chuck the corn cobs in the top in the front and bag the corn on the side.
Sadly the drought has made it not possible to have enough corn to load the Junior up. Only about 1/2 a wheely bin of corn went though it in near a fortnight.

Cheers Scott

Nathan Woodruff

Registered
That is a very elaborate looking corn sheller. fantastic to see operating.
I am currently working on getting a dragsaw operating for our annual machinery rally coming up in October at Mil-lel South Australia. I like to try and get interesting working displays there are is ties in the well with the small agricultural show that runs in conjunction with us.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_uZ5Xdg3kWo
Cheers, Nathan

cobbadog

Registered
What a beauty it is too Nathan, thanks for posting. I saw what looks like one of these model saws for sale at the Yesteryear Truck Show recently and it had an accessories on it that would be very helpful to all drag saws.
It had a pair of wheels mounted at the rear of the saw under the engine and facing at right angles to the saw blade. Don't know if it was original or a home made idea but the best we could think of is that they were there to move the saw along the log between each cut.

Scotty 2

Registered
Hello Nathan
I had to laugh at the cow on the extreme right. She looked over after you put the belt on as if to think.....what the hell is he up to now?

Belts. They amase me sometimes. How they stay on when they're running all over the shop (as in the museum videos) has me beat.....but they do.

Cheers Scott
PS: your green grass is enough to make me cry.

Nathan Woodruff

Registered
What a beauty it is too Nathan, thanks for posting. I saw what looks like one of these model saws for sale at the Yesteryear Truck Show recently and it had an accessories on it that would be very helpful to all drag saws.
It had a pair of wheels mounted at the rear of the saw under the engine and facing at right angles to the saw blade. Don't know if it was original or a home made idea but the best we could think of is that they were there to move the saw along the log between each cut.
Yes I have seen a couple where you take the wheels off and mount them at right angles to the saw blade. Great idea makes it easier to slide it along the log.

Hi Scotty I was eyeing the cow off for a new bit of leather to make a new belt out of. You are right with a good old flat belt it is amazing how they can stay on and yet the day you try to line it all up perfectly you can never get them to stay on. I have learnt a few tricks and it gets easier the longer the length of the belt.
We are lucky in our part of the world as a dry year usually for us is having the grass die off in the middle of summer although this year the grass has only come back in the last month

AussieIron

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
02/04/2020
Nathan, I believe that saw was built by Faneco and Wholers? If it was, it was built 50 yards from where I'm sitting. The factory was one block away from my street. Not a trace left now. I have seen an early engine built by them in Ararat. Mainly all T model parts, had a wooden top crankcase cover from memory. I have seen a four HP Sundial on one of their saws. Don't know if original or not. Ararat also made a vertical steam engine, but I don't think a Faneco.
18 miles north, at Stawell, Kayes made a vertical engine,2 stroke I think. They made a fair few engines, scarce now. Their factory was somewhere around where the Trotting Track at Stawell is now. I knew where a set of flywheels and crank were once, you could tell it was a Kaye as they had an exceptionally wide crankshaft. Good to see the saw preserved and running. Cheers - Neil.

isandian

Registered
There was a Kaye at Lake Goldsmith on the couple of occasions I have been there. I have seen a couple of others in private hands, but certainly a very rare and interesting engine. Ian

asw20

Registered
It was my privilege to see that Robson engine at the owner's property today. An impressive bit of gear.

Thanks for the video.

Jarrod.

D Davis

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
02/23/2020
Hello all
I've noticed of late there has not been much in the way of pictures or video's of our pride and joys. It's been blah, blah, blah.
So here is one of our latest little projects. We wanted a little engine setup so we could travel to a few rallies. Van on the back, engine in the back sort of thing. The whole setup easily goes in the back of the old Pajero with room left over for another little engine and something for it to drive.
Anyways, here's our little Barlow and Triton. I've just had it at a rally where it ran for 2 days with virtually no problems. A valve got a bit sticky and some oil blew out the breather into the magneto points were the only problems. A squirt of oil here and a squirt of degreaser there and problems sorted. The oil blowing out the breather was entirely my fault. I didn't leave the oil level plug out long enough when I topped the oil up at the beginning of the second day. Stupid me.

Please feel free to add pictures or video's of your...well, any old stuff. No need to be an old engine per-say. Let everyone know why your in this hobby.
Cheers Scott

That is a really cool engine , I have never seen one like it