• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in the blanks. - IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, ENTER YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

About Time for an Engine Video

Scotty 2

Registered
That is a really cool engine , I have never seen one like it
Hello Mr Davis.
Yes they're cool engines and I'm not surprised you've never seen one before as they were made by a little mob in Ballina, NSW, Australia and they did not make many engines.
They made other styles of engines, with their more common type been the type D or type E vertical, and fishing trawler items such as winches. Their little engines were commonly used in the dairy industry working cream separators and skim milk pumps.
Here is their type D. In it you can see the distinctive gear reduction for the pulley. The type E is similar but larger. In my opinion their 2 stroke is the really cool engine in their line. A picture of it below.
Cheers Scott

Last edited:

Scotty 2

Registered
Nice one Scotty, it runs smooth as silk
It's a bit hard to hear there with the other engines running at the rally. She does run nice. I might have to get her out of the hay shed and give her another run without any other noise influences.
Cheers Scott

PS: Those Maytags are an interesting engine we don't see too many of over here Mr 24.

cobbadog

Registered
Maytags have a hit n miss done with a spark break on some of them. Same as the Villiers engine on my Oxford Allen Rotoscythe it has a spark limiter that works on spring tension at nominated peak revs then cuts the spark until it drops back in revs then sparks again

cobbadog

Registered
That is what the unit is known as Eric. This has been discussed recently with the same comments. Yes, A Rotoscythe cuts in a circular mtion and the Oxford Allen Rotoscythe uses a cutting bar, definately not a rotary action, but if these units have been known as such that is what I will call it.

Eric Schulz

Registered
Last Subscription Date
09/02/2009
OK, let’s talk a bit more about this. If anyone wants to make up their own name for something, that is their privilege. What should not happen is to use this made up name publicly. It is misleading or confusing to the reader or listener.

The Allen scythe is a good example. The brand name of the machine is Allen. Oxford is the address, and is not part of the brand name.

Rotoscythe is a brand name which has no connection to John Allen & Sons. Again, so should not be used.

To say that the Allen Motor Scythe is known as an “Oxford Allen Rotoscythe” is just not correct. I am 79 years old, and have been interested in machinery since childhood, but never have heard such a thing.

The historian in me objects to inaccuracy. I believe in recording history, not rewriting it.

Eric

Scotty 2

Registered
And this thread is about video's of your engines or engines you've seen at rallies or in your mates back yards etc.
So can we leave this about Allen grass cutters? If you want to go on please start another thread.
Cheers Scott

Wayne Timms

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
03/24/2019
The historian in me objects to inaccuracy. I believe in recording history, not rewriting it.

Eric
Sorry Scott, I see your point, but since this historian likes history to be written correctly and on a number of occasions I have asked him to correct his own misquoted history below.....which he ignores.
"Be ready for some serious repercussions when it becomes public knowledge that you closed down their favourite forum and are on the way to closing down the magazine."
This is public information and Eric fails to acknowledge he was wrong, so I find his post above a bit rich.
Regards,
Wayne

cobbadog

Registered
Thanks Scotty,
No matter what other wish to call it I will always call it by what I know it as and that is an Oxford Allen Rotoscythe. Feel free to call it what you like by all means.

cobbadog

Registered
That is what this thread is all about, engines running and it would be nice o see and hear it running under load, some of those Maytags would be good too just quietly.

Scotty 2

Registered
some of those Maytags would be good too just quietly.
Hello all.
Not one of those Maytags above but ours. I have to find it in the shed for that engine record attempt at Dalby coming up soon. I can near fit it under the seat of the ute. How many engines can you fit in a Triton dual cab? We'll find out. :ROFLMAO:
A video of a CS under full load would be fantastic. I personally have never one under load before.
Cheers Scott
PS: When I find the Maytag I know there's a Trojan sitting next to it. A good opportunity to get it out and give it a run too.

Last edited:

Engineman87

Registered
As promised, only a short video of the CS pulling a load, apologies for the shadow. About 2000 Watts is the comfortable load for this engine.. yes the fan is part of that load, I was using it before filming to fan myself in the warm humid weather whilst I enjoyed a cool beverage marveling at the engine running. I will get a better video next time I roll it out of the shed that is a bit longer and detailed.
The engine (a 1935 3hp @600rpm CS) was saved from a river bank near Gympie it needed some new crank seals and a new bigend bearing 2.25 inch bigend proved difficult to get at the time. Now a solid runner and given a workout at least once a month for a few hours at a time.