• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in the blanks. - IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, ENTER YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

AC/DC Welding Questions

Tracy T

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/16/2019
well i cant believe i am actually going to look ay another. nutz aint i!??

Tracy T

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/16/2019
Not the same, this one is a 200. still thinking HARD on it! If nothing has happened to it just sitting i believe this one should be good. power has been cut to the bulding but it is still wired in, in the dry, on concreate, and under a steel work bench. he priced it $300, I may offer him less and see where it goes. going to be a real chore getting it out but there is a rolling chassis of a overhead crane there. no hoist but the frame work and rollers are still in tact. I wish i had gotten there years ago, most of the good stuff was already sold. there is one piece of equipment still there looks like the same thing in the oops thread. I tried to get some pictures but the shop was too dark. pretty nice model a in there too.

Tracy T

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/16/2019
who am i kidding? you all know i am a sucker! for old stuff!! I did talk with my older in his 90's electrician, it saddens me to say he is starting to loose his memory. I was talking with him about building another phase converter for this welder and sadly he is no longer making total sense. I wish I knew what he has forgotten! He was right on the HP of the welder motor based on the amps but out in left field when sizing the size of the idler motor. one minute he would say that the HP of the idler would start a motor three times its size then he would say i need a idler the size of the motor i was trying to start. I have no hard feelings towrd him but it is sad to see! vanman you have any thoughts? this one is 220V @ 44 AMP three phase. I am thinking if i can find a 7hp idler it should do. and i do agree with what he said that a 5hp idler may work. he did pull this off 15 years ago running two 7.5 HP motors at the same time on a car lift but it was a stretch because we had to add some extra capps. Damn I should have asked more questions then! and wrote it all down!

Tracy T

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/16/2019
I think i will start a new thread on building phase converters, if i can find a fourm it fits in.

Tracy T

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/16/2019
say hello to my new little friend! and with a car battery hooked up it does spin up although a little slow but it does spin up. after lunch I am going to try vanman's approach spin it up with the battery then throw the 220 to it and see what happens! and I imagine i better unhook the battery before the 220 is applied!!

Attachments

Tracy T

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/16/2019
I ran two rods thru it on single phase, and I must say it is a sight better than my old sears! video of it starting and running shortly and maybe a shot of my welding. keep in mind though I did NOT have a DC rod, will have to pick some up monday. only glitch I see so far is i cant reverse the polarity, may just be a dirty switch.

Vanman

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
Glad to see you have it running! Starting on the car battery, ideally you want the exciter disconnected from the main generator (polarity switch in the middle position) and the amp controls set to the highest. That’ll give you the highest speed with only 12 volts.

This set very well likely has motor protection as part of the controls. In that case you don’t really need to be too concerned about overheating the motor while running on single phase.

Adding suitable run capacitance should increase the available duty cycle though.

Keith

Tracy T

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/16/2019
yes, netural on exciter and i had to go full throttle on the amp adjustment before it would take off. you guys couldnt see everything that was going on in the video. the trailer was blocking the battery with jumper cables and i also had a light switch connected to my contactor, so when i unhooked the battery i could apply AC at the flick of a switch. I took a gamble today, and i am very happy with the results! good day today!:beer: i have enough of:headbang: those days!

Tracy T

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/16/2019
I may dig my homebrew phase converter out today and monkey around and see if it will start it, kinda doubt it will but i wont know if i dont try.

Vanman

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
Since the welder generator starts without load, it shouldn’t take much to get it going. :brows:

Tracy T

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/16/2019
Eh, I got side tracked today, got both ends opened up checking brushes had a couple of the tensioners a little stiff but all in all looks pretty good inside. vents on the exciter end were a little bent, got those straightened out. the other end had some bends in it as well but nothing a wack with a BFH didnt take care off. I dont know how many layers of paint this thing has on it but alot came off with a puty knife. I am thinking seriously about turning it into dual power, gasoline or electric. i think i can do this without too much modification. if i can make it mobile that opens up a whole new area of work for me.

Vanman

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
Maybe a small shaft extension off one end with a pulley on it. Then you can use that to drive it with an engine when needed. :brows:

Tracy T

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/16/2019
I need to determine the rotation of the engine i plan to use, if it works out one end of the shaft is keyed will just have to do some cooling fan modification. cooling fan is just tack welded to a sleeve, if i can get a yoke i will just tack the fan to the yoke.

Tracy T

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/16/2019
I may dig my homebrew phase converter out today and monkey around and see if it will start it, kinda doubt it will but i wont know if i dont try.
well i tried today.:rotfl: aint gonna happen with my setup, it did start to turn. first try was only a second or two before i shut everything down, it was turning the wrong direction! fixed that then tried again. it tried but no go and i shut it down again. tried it the thrid time with car battery, spun it up already had the phase converter running hit the start button and got a good whiff of ozone! poped the breaker.:O

Tracy T

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/16/2019
made a little progress today, got the big old vh4d off the semitrailer and into the back of my pickup truck. that dont sound like much, but i had to mount the backhoe onto my track loader, unload one Djb generator and one djc engine just to gain access to the 4d, whew.

Tracy T

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/16/2019
the big old 4D lives once again! 11 or so years in storage, cleaned the points and got some fresh gas in it and it fired right off! I will have to make the pivot for the governor it screws into the exhaust port and twisted into when i had it all apart years ago. just a 5/16" shaft that is 1/4" on the end and threaded. It does spit and sputter and i dont think i gave it a tune up when i built the engine, too long ago cant remember. I do remember there was one sparkplug I gave up on for fear of removing the threads in the cylinder head. it may give it up after a few heat cycles. sorry my camera woman is not here today so no video.

Tracy T

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/16/2019
for what its worth i decided to run it again today on single phase to make sure all of the motor winding are good. I ran it on two of the phases and welded with it, then switched over one of the phases to the third phase and welded with it again. nothing wrong with any of the AC windings. but it does do a little bit better in one configuration sounds better too. I dont know why but all of that wont matter after i get the wisconsin driving it.

Tracy T

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/16/2019
well I got the rest of my driveshaft components ordered today to mary these two together. manifold gaskets came in yesterday, bought a choke cable, resistor, condensor and points today. he had to order another set of points these were damaged in the box will be here in the morning. maybe i will get this done before i die!:rolleyes: