• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, give complete answers and fill in all blanks. IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS. GIVE YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! We get hundreds of applications, so there is no time to deal with missing information.

AC vs DC Power

opus

Registered
Hypothetically; if I have a 5 hp engine and it will power an AC 120v generator that will give me say 13A.

Now if I take that same setup but with a DC powered 12v generator, will it take less hp to deliver 13A DC?

Boy, I hope that makes sense.

:eek:

AngolaGravely

Registered
Re: AC vs DC

Hypothetically; if I have a 5 hp engine and it will power an AC 120v generator that will give me say 13A.

Now if I take that same setup but with a DC powered 12v generator, will it take less hp to deliver 13A DC?

Boy, I hope that makes sense.

:eek:
12V @ 13A is 156 watts.

120V @ 13A is 1560 Watts.

A horsepower is roughly 744 watts.

Thaumaturge

In Memory Of
Last Subscription Date
07/12/2019

Don't know if info will help much, but typical 12VDC "charger" outputs are powered off a separate, rectified aux winding. The current of such aux coils is limited by wire size of coils, rectifier size and circuit fuse or breaker.
Doc

G.M.Johnson

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
11/05/8018

12vdc @ 13 amps you can get away with a lot less horsepower. A 1 hp motor will work just fine, but to give a little head room I would go with 1-1/2 hp. General rule of thumb is .75kw per HP.