• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When registering, please provide your CITY and STATE as your location!

Adjusting the Ignitor timing on a headless fairbanks morse

Lanzb

Registered
Hi Guys,
Does anybody know an easy way to adjust the ignitor timing on a 1 1/2 hp headless fairbanks morse engine?
It looks to me like you would either have to make the trip lever on the ignitor longer or shorter??

Doug Tallman

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
10/11/2019
Its been awhile snce I had a headless but if i'm remembering right, the finger that trips the ignitor should be slotted and will move back and forth on the trip rod for timing.

Lanzb

Registered
The one on my engine is solid with no adjustment, but I don't think it is original. May need to see a picture of an original set up.

J Eddy

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
03/03/2019
We had a headless that had a solid trip rod, found out the stud towards the front that holds the trip rod up is eccentric. Turning it raised or lowered the trip rod. Don't know if they are all like that or not.

Lanzb

Registered
OK that could be how mine should be then, at the moment it only has a plain bolt screwed into it so I may need to change that. Thanks.