Adrian, Missouri...Touristy items?

GaarScott

All,

As many of you know the Bolduc family and my family are taking in the Adrian, Missouri show, the National Modelers 1st annual show, this coming June 20th thru the 22nd. Since we are going to make a mini vacation out of it, I was wondering if some of my fellow stakers would have any ideas for good touristy places to take in and around the mid-western part of Missouri. We are planning to stay one night in an RV camp grounds and take in some of the surrounding sites...where ever that may be. Any suggestions? We are thinking, since Missouri is rich in western history, that there should be ample tourist attractions with this theme in mind. So what say ye all? Thanks in advance.

Lawrence

John Deck

Subscriber
Re: Adrian, Missouri...Touristy items????

Well Lawrence I dont think there is much western history stuff in Adrian but the National Park System has a great site at Ft. Scott Kansas just to the west and a little south. Also to the west of Adrian is the site of the first civil war battle just inside Kansas. I will do some looking and get back with you later tonight.

John

John Delbert Hidy

Email NOT Working

The Lathrop, Mo antique car, tractor and engine club is having their show the same weekend as Adrian. We are located 40 miles north of Kansas City just 1 mile off I-35, and I have several engines there on permanent display. There will be many other engines and the usual show offerings In normal years the Lathrop and Adrian shows are a week apart, but "by mistake" they ended up on the same weekend this year. But perhaps you could sneak in a visit to both. Or e-mail me, we could perhaps set up a private showing of the engnes i have. They were featured in the Gas Engine Magazine in 2006. (Salute to a deam) Check out the Lathrop club/show online. Also check out Powell Gardens, Independence, Missouri for historical, Smithville Lake for recreation, or do a tourist search for Kansas City.............these are all either right on or super close to Interstate 35.

B

Bill Thurman

Well..... There is Ft. Osage in Buckner, right outside of K.C, Restored Lewis and Clark fort, Steam boat Arabia in K.C. , largest display of pre civil war artifacts in the country,actual dug steam boat and they have the boilers and engine on display! Liberty memorial in K.C. , only W.W.1 museum in nation,union station in K.C. site of a 30's gangster massacre, Ag hall of fame in bonnersprings, Trading Post Ks. Home of John Brown and site of a civil war battle and also site of a massacre of "pro slavery " farmers carried out by John Brown, Mine creek in Pleaston, ks, another civil war battlefeild, Lexington,Mo, outside of K.C. site of a large civil war battlefeild, Westport in K.C. another large battle ground of the civil war, Lone Jack, mo. outside of K.C. civil war battlefeild,( where John Wayne lost a eye in "True Grit" St. Joe has alot of museums for the pony express and the many trails that started there, all of this is within 75 miles or so of Adrain,All but the Ks. locations are north, the Ks. locations are about 45 miles west, I could go on as this area was a "hot bed " during the civil war as Order No. 11 burned down nearly every house and building down in our county to get rid of southern aide, as far as going north on 35 in Iowa there is John waynes birth place, covered bridges, and if you like toy trains then you gotta stop at trainland U.S.A 12 miles outside of De-Moines on 80 as it is a must see as he has the entire united states made into a train layout using Lionel trains, I stop every year , These are just what i could thank of off hand, Plenty more!!!! Bill T

oldtractors

Subscriber
I went to the Lathrop show for the Case expo a couple of years ago. Pretty nice show. Too bad the show dates ended up on top of eachother this year. Lawrence, that fellow we talked to in southern Iowa has a smaller Russell at Lathrop. I have thought about stopping in and seeing it on the way down.

I am not very far from Trainland USA. I keep thinking about going there, but never seem to get the time. I have been wanting to go since I was a little kid. (30 years or so ago).
Maybe this will be the year.

Mike McKnight

Thanks for the heads-up that Lathrop is going on the same weekend. I know the shows hate they are going on the same weekend; for out-of town spectators though, nothing can be better (at least for me!!!!) than being able to hit two shows the same day!

Here's hoping the plans go thru....:D

Jim/Lawrence/et. al-if you want REAL good BBQ, ya'll got to come visit me and we'll go to Memphis...MEMPHIS BBQ CAN'T BE BEAT!

Mike

Last edited:

John Deck

Subscriber
If you need directions Lawrence let us know I know how long it takes you to get to Pawnee. ROFLMAO. Just teasing looking forward to seeing all of you in a couple of weeks.

Farquhar

John, lets hope he lets Eric pull the camper, too. You know how Lawrence likes to set a camper "free" at hiway speed.:O:D

GaarScott

David,

I have no earthly idea what you are talking about.;)

John, Eric is going to let me lead our parade of vehicles down to Adrain, as he knows I like to drive slow and he doesn't want to have to strain his neck looking in the rearview mirror more than he is looking forward to see if I'm still there.:eek: By the way John, thanks for the possible touristy stops and accompanied websites. After revisiting our travel plans, we are thinking about taking in the Lathrope show on Sunday. We will have to see how everything else plays out after that. Looking forward to seeing both Dalene and You and David H. and his lovely bride too.

Lawrence