• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When registering, please provide your CITY and STATE as your location!

Air Cooled, Carburetor-less, Single Cly Unkown?

Peavy436

Registered
I have here a unkown engine. There is no name, stamps, markings etc- any where on this( Besides 2 markings of JA, and J2), sizes maybe{ the crank shims on the sides) . This is air cooled , has a fan in the metal shroud. Has the carbon rod spark plug, looks like there are 2 spark plug holes,maybe reversable?.The big "hump" in the rear is where the motor oil for the crank is stored. This has to be sealed tight, so a vacuum is drawn for the oiler. Carburetor wise there is none. Just a turn nob to adjust the fuel flow, looks like it doesn't need one..On the side of the gears-at the flywheel. There is a very crude set of "points" just 1 metal flapper that hits a lobe on the gears. I have used a Model T box coil to get this firing. It only has 3 mounting holes.

I have no idea what I have here. If anyone does let me know.

Attachments

S

speleausmining

Ideal Air cooled would be my guess. These were used on Ideal Lawn mowers. A number of these small air cooled look similar so I may be off on the brand but I am about 75% sure this is an Ideal. Someone else can likely chime in and confirm

Peavy436

Registered
I just consulted Mr. Google on this. The pictures look exact. Am i right that this doesn't need a carb? Also any guess of age. Apparently this was the early style.

Thanks!

Peavy436

Registered
I just went out to the shop and took a look. The flywheel measures bout 11 in. So that would make it a 1hp. It looks like Im missing part of my mixer. I just have the bottom half with the fuel cut off. I have had this for about 3 years. I play, work on old engines, mowers, cars,etc. A man contacted me 1 day , he wanted me to take some mowers off his hands. I went to have a look, I saw push mowers, a riding tractor, and what i thought was part of a air compressor in the mud. When I dug this up under the tree, he thought it was trash...

Needless to say I'm happy I saved it.

Thanks for the help!

Ray Cardoza

Registered
Last Subscription Date
04/13/2010
Pretty cool. look here on the sponsors some of them have repro lunkenheimers for sale or theres allso evil bay. youres is more complete then mine. its missing the metal box/shroud that covers the fan. maybe ill find one soon for it. good luck and keep us updated

Martin Reed

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
08/19/2019
Most of the Ideal's I have seen were mounted on lawn mowers but I do know where one "barn Fresh" Ideal is that was sold as a skidded engine. The family used it for grinding oatmeal for breakfast. They still have the grinder. I believe this engine may be a Bluffton or at least I titled the photo Bluffton

Martin

Attachments

Tom Martin

Registered
Last Subscription Date
02/05/2012
That looks like a pretty much complete Ideal Lawn Mower engine. The crankcase is not supposed to be sealed. It is lubricated by the drip oiler dripping a few drops per minute onto the connecting rod, from which it flows to the wrist pin and big end bearing. The plugs that you have removed are the access plugs for the valves. I had one of these with 11" flywheels which had a 3/4" Lunkenheimer mixer, and I picked up one at Portland this year with 10" flywheels and a 1/2" Lunkenheimer. There is no tag on it because the tag was on the lawn mower. If you have the adjusting valve on the mixer, you probably have the complete mixer.

Jordan

Registered
Most of the Ideal's I have seen were mounted on lawn mowers but I do know where one "barn Fresh" Ideal is that was sold as a skidded engine. The family used it for grinding oatmeal for breakfast. They still have the grinder. I believe this engine may be a Bluffton or at least I titled the photo Bluffton

Martin
to tell them apart the ideals had the lunkenheimer mixer and the bluffton had a j carb simillar to hercules.

regards
jordan

---------- Post added at 09:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:43 PM ----------

peavey,

indeed your engine looks like an ideal air cooled
here is my example:

regards,
jordan

Peavy436

Registered
I just went back out to have a look at the Mixer.. I took it off , here is what I have. The elbow is cast iron, the adjusting screw is steel. The size of the pipe at the end is 3/4in. Is this a mixer or a J carb? What am i missing?

Attachments

Jordan

Registered
your engine is then a bluffton, that is what they call a "J" carb/mixer from what i can tell your not missing anything, as looks like there is no provision for a choke plate. the ideal's had a mixer like the one in my video,

regards,
jordan

---------- Post added at 03:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:54 PM ----------

at about the1:07 mark you can see the lunkheimer mixer and at 1:23 you can thee the other side

Peavy436

Registered
Thanks for the help.I know a few people around here, that are in small engine clubs. Not 1 of them had a guess what this was. Hopefully I get a chance to work on this soon.