• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, give complete answers and fill in all blanks. IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS. GIVE YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! We get hundreds of applications, so there is no time to deal with missing information.

Airless Paint sprayer

Onan Dan

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
03/16/2019
Question has any one ever used an airless paint sprayer ? the home depot has them Control Pro 130 power Tank airless stand Paint Sprayer fellow asked me about them i said i would check with you all we would use this type for painting barn siding large metal car port roof etc just wonder if they would spray decent silver paint or like a red wood paint non fiber see picture any thoughts on this one or maybe someone has used another brand reviews

Attachments

Onan Dan

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
03/16/2019
Paint shop must not get much activity well winter time can not paint outdoors anyway just checking to see if anyone has used an airless paint sprayer? :)

I like oldstuff

Registered
Last Subscription Date
11/09/2015
I had this kind of the draw paint from a 5 gallon bucket machine. Like an idiot I sold it. They can spray an incredible volume of paint. I use it with the spray gun in one hand and a brush in the other as the gun shoots the paint on big time then the brush smoothes it out like you want it. Read the instructions as thick or thinner paints/stains likely will need the appropriate spray tip.

You spend more time moving the ladder or bucket man lift than you do painting! For example, I rented a bucket machine and I can be in the bucket with the machine and 5 gallon pail and painted my 2 car garage within 45 minutes. The whole 3000sf house took me a day and a half. I put wifey to work moving the extension cord to suit where I was going with it. They're a pain to clean out but worth it if you have a lot of area to paint.

I say rent it if you can. They're pretty spendy and you will use it so seldom.

Attachments

Onan Dan

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
03/16/2019
Thanks you answered my question the time saved means a lot we were always ole school paint brushes etc got better things to do than paint with a brush we were thinking about renting a lift also my brother in law had a hip replacement and the ladders are a hazard to him he fell off one like two months after surgery that did not help matters me my ole body is shot also i get that darn bppv vertigo when i climb Thanks:):)

I like oldstuff

Registered
Last Subscription Date
11/09/2015
Depending on what you're squirting and onto what, maybe you can dilute the paint. These things do go through paint like water.

Bear67

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
02/02/2020
I have used larger commercial versions of this paint pump I guess since they became commonly available. I had Graco's and my current one is a Titan. When working in the oil field service arena, we would bid on whatever jobs we could make a profit. We sprayed paint on oil field buildings, compressor plants, fairly often. We used a Graco pump with longer tube on the wand and you walk on the roof and not even bend over. Spraying out of lifts and on scaffolds, I put longer hoses and kept sprayer on the ground.

First, I want to assure you I am the worlds worst painter--I don't like to paint, prep to paint, and try not to paint, but an airless is the way to put on lots of paint on large surfaces. You can get a paint from any of the large paint suppliers especially for painting galvanized sheet metal--it usually just has a small amount of white cement mixed into it. You wear out tips more often but you get good adhesion. Many spec sheets on painting sheet metal buildings will specific these products. Kelly Moore paint labels theirs as Kel-Crete. It is also good for painting concrete walls, bunkers ect. Last year I was talked into painting a 30' X 36' concrete stave silo. I rented a lift and bought a mid price latex white paint and added 1 1/25 cups of white cement per 5 gallon can of paint. I rode the lift and painted while my wife mixed paint and was my ground monkey. She is actually a better painter than me, but I am more used to working out of a lift. Onlyi took 6 hours start to finish.

I have sprayed latex, acrylic enamel, 2 part epoxy and flex-coat paint out of an airless. Just select a nozzle for the paint viscosity and have spares if you are putting on lots of product. I have never been happy spraying stain or thin wood sealer and finishing products. When spring rains slow down I need to rent a lift and put sealer on the gables of our house. It is western red cedar and is 12/12 pitch. I will spray that with a commercial HVLP gun. I will have to rent a trailer towed lift as one end of the house is too steep for a self contained lift.

Eight years ago, I built a 3800 sq ft house for my son's family and my 25 year old Graco crapped out on a Sunday as we were spraying porch roof ceiling and trim. Daughter in Law ran to Lowe's and bought a Titan. Added the long hose to the new Titan hose and all interior and exterior was painted with this. DIL painted everything as my wife did when we built this house 24 years back. It has been a good unit and still works good. Just remember to pump water or mineral spirits through the lines when through the hose when finished and this cleans the pump, hose and gun. We leave thinner in the hoses in storage. Personally I think airless sprayers are easier to clean than suction type pressure paint guns or HVLP.
If you don't have other uses for this equipment, check into renting. Most commercial rental outfits will rent airless sprayers but usually have to buy your spray tips. I think Lowe's and Home Depot rent them also.

gdstew

Registered
I was quoted $11,000 to paint my storage building. I bought a Graco from Lowes ($350.00) and 3 5gal "barn" paint ($50.00@) and did it myself. Moving hoses, ladders, and extension cord took some messing around but it sure was worth it. A second person would really help. You need to be aware of wind "blow back" as you may find it on your hand and glasses.

oologahan

Registered
I've been a commercial and residential painter for 40 years and while an airless sprayer helps homeowners immensely, it also has some learning curves that when learned will benefit the user even more. First a tip will only last 30-40 gallons before it uses more paint than a new tip will cost, it also will not spray nearly as well with a worn tip. The opening turns from elliptical to round. Next learning to trigger the gun must be actively practiced and the more you use it the better you will get. Always keep the spray tip at a direct angle toward the surface, do not fan the gun on angle up or down, you will lose paint and do a poor job. Raise the pressure until there are no fingers on the edge of the spray pattern and no more. Do not thin water based paints more than 5-10 percent with water I would recommend thinning with Floetrol over water if thinning is desired for water based products. On a safety note if you ever spray yourself with a water based product and it breaks the skin, seek medical services IMMEDIATELY. water based paints when they enter the bloodstream cause gangrene

Bear67

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
02/02/2020
gdstew
Sounds like you hit a homerun with the savings on painting your building. I still have a hard time paying someone else to do a job for me that I can do with tools I already own or can purchase and save money on the finished job. My Dad always told us boys that we could do anything anybody else could do--they were not born with the skill or ability, but had to learn or be taught. I am not a good painter but even at 74 can paint and will do painting and many other repairs as long as I can drag my old bones out and get started.

I said in my post, I do not like to paint nor am I really good at it--and the amount of paint on my clothes and boots affirm that. I wear my oldest overalls, shirts and a special paint crusted pair of boots. You can pick out from my painting clothes what I have been painting by the IH red. Fergie Grey, Ford Blue or JD green with yellow spots. and the spray from an airless even on your shirt sleeve hurts and I have heard the warnings about paint injected into the skin. Never done that to myself yet, but did inject diesel into left forearm with diesel injector pop tester. Turned blackish and hurt like the devil.

Onan Dan

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
03/16/2019
Bear your like i am i always got more paint on me than the job i was doing always said a good painter got more paint on them than the job. thanks fellows give me a lot to think about things never crossed my mine also may be more costly than i thought brother in law and myself just have to set down and talk it over we got time good weather is still away off for painting Thanks:)

I've been a commercial and residential painter for 40 years and while an airless sprayer helps homeowners immensely, it also has some learning curves that when learned will benefit the user even more. First a tip will only last 30-40 gallons before it uses more paint than a new tip will cost, it also will not spray nearly as well with a worn tip. The opening turns from elliptical to round. Next learning to trigger the gun must be actively practiced and the more you use it the better you will get. Always keep the spray tip at a direct angle toward the surface, do not fan the gun on angle up or down, you will lose paint and do a poor job. Raise the pressure until there are no fingers on the edge of the spray pattern and no more. Do not thin water based paints more than 5-10 percent with water I would recommend thinning with Floetrol over water if thinning is desired for water based products. On a safety note if you ever spray yourself with a water based product and it breaks the skin, seek medical services IMMEDIATELY. water based paints when they enter the bloodstream cause gangrene
Boy, this is some advice I could have used some years ago when painting my house. I bought an airless sprayer (the type that sits on a tripod over a 5 gallon bucket) from a co worker who kept his tools in top condition. He gave me several brand new tips and some brief training on how to use the thing.

Came time to paint and I got a weak pattern in the middle, with two streams at the outer edges. No matter what I tried, that blasted thing sprayed anything but a decent pattern. I finally ended up spraying a section of siding and then quickly going over it with an 6" house brush. I'll bet I wasted a fourth of my paint in the process too. It got the job done, but the aggravation factor was very high.