• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in all blanks. IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS, GIVE YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! We get hundreds of applications, so there is no time to deal with missing information.

Ajax log saw engine?

John Schlicher

Registered
Last Subscription Date
05/06/2014
Bought this guy at a auction today, the owner of the engine told me it was a Ajax log saw engine, I told him it looks like a Ottawa. He swore it was a Ajax and that he has owned it for the last 30 years. What do you guys think.
Thanks John

Attachments

Doug Tallman

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
10/11/2019
Re: Ajax log saw engine???

It looks Ottawa until you get to the clutch and flywheel. Never saw that set up on an Ottawa. The early Ottawas I've seen had the gear on the outside with just a slipper style clutch. It wasn't a positive release.

Rick Lockridge

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
02/06/2019

Looks like a Warner mfgd engine. Check the mag bracket for a 303k62. That's the Warner/ Ottawa #.
Rick

Doug Tallman

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
10/11/2019

Another thing I just realized was this engine has a chain sprocket where the Ottawa was gear to gear drive. Wonder how the chain worked with the saw? I'd agre with the Warner/Ottawa built but maybe for a different company or some other piece of equipment other than a saw. I have seen 2 different igniter brackets on these early engines. Not sure on the numbers.