• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in the blanks. - IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, ENTER YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

Alamo Unit System 40 volt generator

Jake driedger

Registered
We have received an Alamo one cylinder rotary valve 40 volt generator to rebuild and need any info or pictures we can get. HELP!!!!

Harry

Administrator
Staff member
By the way, if you use "control wheel" or control key while rotating your mouse wheel you can change the type size larger.

GeneratorGus

Registered
I've got one and, after a lot of work, gave it a timeout. It wants to run but compression is a bit lacking and may have to bore and/or sleeve the cylinder. I took a lot of pictures along the way, which will probably be a lot of help to youDSCN3552.JPGDSCN3552.JPGP7171958.JPG

Last edited:

GeneratorGus

Registered
Not sure whats going on, my pictures are showing up double and can't delete them.
I'll try one more. OK I figured it out, I double clicked to insert them in the postAlamo Firing Cycle001.jpg

GeneratorGus

Registered
Forgot to say, first time posting on Harry's new site, I like it, but have to acquaint myself a bit.

Jake, I hate to ask, but what do you want to know?

Jake driedger

Registered
Forgot to say, first time posting on Harry's new site, I like it, but have to acquaint myself a bit.

Jake, I hate to ask, but what do you want to know?
Thanks for your reply and pictures. Would it be possible for you to post a picture from the other side of the motor? Toward the bottom of the motor, below the fuel mixer we have a broken plate and we are not sure what was mounted on that plate. At this point that is the only question we have, as we are just starting. We have must of the unit apart.

GeneratorGus

Registered
Magneto mounting plate, hope you have the pieces.P1161782.JPGP1161781.JPG
How about a picture or two of your unit, I'd like to see it.
GUS

Last edited:

Jake driedger

Registered
As soon as I figure out how to post the pictures I will. Each time I try a message come up saying that the file is to large to download.

GeneratorGus

Registered
The set looks fairly complete, just needs a little TLC. Looks like the solenoid throttle control is trashed, but it is not a necessity to make it run. The one on mine is burned out (they usually are ) so I rigged a manual control. Looks like the mag bracket is repairable. If the control panel bracket is broken, I have a spare.
When you start to disassemble the unit, I have a lot more pics that might help. I also have a copy of a copy of a copy of the manual, pretty bad, hard to read and does not reprint legibly. I can relay most of the info as you need. I also have a wiring diagram, depending on the model number of yours.
The unit has an oil pump as well as a fuel pump driven by a vertical shaft geared to the crankshaft. That shaft also drives the rotating cylinder. It also has a low oil and low water shutoff. Be very patient taking the cylinder off if it is stuck (carboned up). The cylinder in mine was apparently damaged by someone (not me) trying to rotate the sleeve thru one of the ports, resulting in a gouge in the sleeve, and a tooth broken on the cylinder drive gear. I repaired the gear which works fine, but did not address the gouge in the cylinder, having taken a wait and see stance. The gouge is probably why the unit is not r15.JPGuning yet.

Last edited:

Jake driedger

Registered
The set looks fairly complete, just needs a little TLC. Looks like the solenoid throttle control is trashed, but it is not a necessity to make it run. The one on mine is burned out (they usually are ) so I rigged a manual control. Looks like the mag bracket is repairable. If the control panel bracket is broken, I have a spare.
When you start to disassemble the unit, I have a lot more pics that might help. I also have a copy of a copy of a copy of the manual, pretty bad, hard to read and does not reprint legibly. I can relay most of the info as you need. I also have a wiring diagram, depending on the model number of yours.
The unit has an oil pump as well as a fuel pump driven by a vertical shaft geared to the crankshaft. That shaft also drives the rotating cylinder. It also has a low oil and low water shutoff. Be very patient taking the cylinder off if it is stuck (carboned up). The cylinder in mine was apparently damaged by someone (not me) trying to rotate the sleeve thru one of the ports, resulting in a gouge in the sleeve, and a tooth broken on the cylinder drive gear. I repaired the gear which works fine, but did not address the gouge in the cylinder, having taken a wait and see stance. The gouge is probably why the unit is not rView attachment 371787uning yet.
Again, thanks for your help. We have most of the unit apart, we did have a little trouble removing the rotary value from the block and then the piston from the value, but it's all apart and no damage. We will more than likely bug you once we start putting stuff together. Once again thank you so much for your help.