• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in the blanks. - IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, ENTER YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

Alis Chalmers U.

casertractor

Registered
Last Subscription Date
04/24/2018
Seems like most of those Continental engines that were used in the United and later U tractors all had weak spots in the engine block aswell as having other engine related issues.Most United and U's i have seen have a patch on the side of the block.Otherwise they were/are a good tractor

FWurth

One Millionth Post
Last Subscription Date
07/29/2019
Back in the day, my family farmed with 2 of them with the Continental motor. One Standard tread and a row crop. They gave good service, the short coming of the motor other than the valve in block, there isn't any water jacket around the lower end of the cylinders. They run too hot on the lower bore when plowing. It would get hot enough to blacken the paint on the lower block. We used them till the 50s when they were replaced by more modern tractors with electric start and hydraulics. I managed to find a similar pair for my collection of oddities, hopefully I can get to them after I retire, still would like to get a later one with the UM motor yet.

Phil Johnson

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
07/12/2019
Going through the parts book, its interesting the different manifolds the U got in its lifespan. Interesting muffler. View attachment 387215View attachment 387216View attachment 387217View attachment 387218
That one looks pretty complete. Even got the original generator. Do you know what year it is?
If you need a gasket set or other parts, Pfouts Family Farm (330 569-7037) has a lot of parts etc. They took over Norm Mienerts business of early tractor parts.
I've got a very nice restored '48 U and a couple of parts units.

Wayne Riedlinger

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/14/2019
Thank you Phil. I was wondering about a gasket kit but haven't started looking yet. I was looking for Mienerts a few days ago but couldn't find anything so thanks for the info.

Wayne Riedlinger

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/14/2019

Attachments

G Willikers

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
06/03/2020
Just saw some talk on the Old Lugs forum about finding old cans of paint. When my uncle got his A-C U United, he got a few cans of original A-C paint with it it. It was not your normal A-C orange, rather, a less bright colour. He sold the tractor many years back and he is in a home now, so any knowledge of that paint is lost.
I did ask him about it at the time. He said the old guy he got it from said that was the paint they used in the early days.I may have pics of that tractor somewhere.
We always figured it was one of the tractors sold by the Cockshutt Plow Co. out of Brantford. I can't remember now, but there might have been a hint of the oval Cockshutt decal that was on the fuel tank. The tractor was never too far from Brantford. He often took the paint can to shows in case anyone gave him flak about the tractor!

FWurth

One Millionth Post
Last Subscription Date
07/29/2019
As a kid, there was still a lot of those early E s and WC s still in use and shedded. I definitely remember that there were 2 different shades. I just thought the pigment faded but Dad always said the newer paint was different. About those frost cracked blocks, Around here on most Allis tractors up to the WD 45, broken blocks were all too common. I don't know if it was because of the old alkahol based solution boiling out or if those Allis owners here were just too cheap to even use antifreeze? But ones with out a broken block was a true rarity! Most were patched with a plate bolted over the crack, and ran that way for decades.

Last edited:

Wayne Riedlinger

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/14/2019
As a kid, there was still a lot of those early E s and WC s still in use and shedded. I definitely remember that there were 2 different shades. I just thought the pigment faded but Dad always said the newer paint was different. About those frost cracked blocks, Around here on most Allis tractors up to the WD 45, broken blocks were all too common. I don't know if it was because of the old alkahol based solution boiling out or if those Allis owners here were just too cheap to even use antifreeze? But ones with out a broken block was a true rarity! Most were patched with a plate bolted over the crack, and ran that way for decades.
I remember my Grandfather wouldn't buy antifreeze for our John deere ar. Just drained it every time it got parked. I came home from school and started it to go do chores and siezed it up.

Wayne Riedlinger

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/14/2019
We got the U pretty well stripped down so ready to start going the other direction, thats going to go a lot slower. Overall the sheetmetal is quit good on it. A few little cracks but not many. The exahst side of the manifold need a bit of work but not too serious.

Attachments