Allis Chalmers 20-35 identification and questions

Allis-Ford

Hello,

I just purchased a 20-35 and I'm in the process of identification and where I'm dealing with.
So far: I know from the serial number it's a '29, kerosine manifold, cut off wheels, painted orange early in life (can find green). Has a Eisemann magneto (at least the original brand). The starting tank is missing. The holes on the left fender are there. The steering wheel is the wrong one. The rear hub cabs are also missing.

But from looking at pictures from other tractors on the internet I see there were changes in detail over the years and maybe also where the tractors were sold.
Can not identify the throttle handle (never saw a picture of this one, seems to be no provision for magneto advance and retard), and the lubrication system for the final drive (the round cans on the fenders).
Please shoot. Looking forward to your comments.
I would like to gather the missing parts. I live in the Netherlands.
Regards, Sjors

Attachments

Allis-Ford

Ofcourse the air intake pipe and the exhaust pipe are missing also, and the glass air cleaner bowl.
Maybe anyone has an email address from somebody who sell parts of these tractors?
Thanks!

Phil Johnson

Sponsor
I've got a few of these tractors and also parts. Looks like yours is pretty complete with some additions.

The oilers for the final drives have been added on. Oil would tend to leak out as there is just a felt seal band that the drive hubs run against. More to just keep dust and dirt out. They usually just had grease added to the final drive hubs occasionally through the plugs on each drive hub. About 1/2 tube each side.

I've never seen a throttle lever assembly like that one. I don't think it's original to the Allis. I'll try to get a picture of my '29 one.

The '29 and later tractors had an automatic advance built into the mag, so there was only a throttle control with a link to the governor arm. Looks like you have the correct mag.

What appears to be a battery tray is also and add-on. Holes in the radiator side supports indicat it might have been fitted with lites at sometime in it's life.

Main parts supplier for these tractors is now Pfouts Family Farm LLC. (Formerly Norm Meinert's) in U.S. Ph. 330 569-7037

Allis-Ford

Hello Phil, thanks for your post. I also think the tractor had lights and battery added in later life.

I think it's not always a problem to leave later non-original additions to a tractor. These can be memories to the working life and history of the machine. Some changes could be done as early as the 1930's or by dealer on owners request.

Thanks for the mention of Pfouts Family Farm LLC. I have found their email address on the allis chalmers website.

Jacob WI

Subscriber
Sjors,

You have a nice looking 20-35 there. I'm always happy to see more of these getting fixed up. I have a thread where I went through and completely mechanically refurbished my 1927 20-35 here on the Stak, it may help you.
https://www.smokstak.com/forum/showthread.php?t=148359

The rear wheels you have are the round spoke original air tire optional type of wheel. Most 20-35's came with steel wheels, or were cut down later and turned into rubber from the original flat spoke rear steel wheels. I don't believe these air tire wheels came with hubcaps. At least the ones I've seen did not have hubcaps either.

There would have been similar style round spoke air front wheels available at the time. But yours are indeed the flat spoke steel wheels that have been cut down and put on rubber.

I'd say the original round spoke air wheels are a bit on the rare side, you don't see them very often.

It doesn't look like you are missing much. Like stated, the throttle quadrant has been modified, as that is definitely not the original control lever. But saying that, I'd be inclined to keep it on the tractor if I was you, as it looks fairly functional and has the cool factor to it. Looks like it started life as an emergency break lever handle, or something similar.

You're fortunate to have what looks like a good solid Kerosene manifold! They are hard to find intact, as the bottom box section usually is rotten or broken.

Keep up the good work, and keep us posted! I'm looking forward to it!

Allis-Ford

Hello Jacob,

thanks for your post. I already investigated your hard work on your tractor earlier this week. Like the pictures and the discussions!

There a differences between the '27 and the '29 model like the carburettor and the oil filler of the transmission and some other thing I noticed.
The rear wheels are round spoked but around every weld on the location where a spoke is welded on the rim is a rust spot so I seems like the welds are done later. But it can also be that because of the weld these spots are more prone to corrosion.

The crank and rod bearings are babbit poured bearings right?

Jacob WI

Subscriber
Sjors,

Glad my thread is of some help. If there is anything I can do to help, just holler.

Yes, there is quite a few little differences between '27 and '29. Same basic tractor, but many things were updated and tweaked over the years.

I'll have to do some digging on the round spoke wheels. Originally they would have been riveted to both the hub and the rim, not welded. I'm wondering if the rim was changed either for size (they wanted a different size tire), or the original was damaged or rotten because of fluid in the tires leaking? Is there fluid in them now (or was there)? What size rim and tire are on it now?
I'll see if I can come up with what size they would have been originally. That may lend a clue.

Yes, the crank and rod bearings are poured babbitt. If you still have shims in your bearings, you should still be good. They can be scraped/machined to work again when you take some shims out. It is not until you are out of shims that you have to re pour the babbitt.

FWurth

One Millionth Post
On the rear wheel issue, The one here has the round spoke factory rubber. The rims are a rather small / narrow 28 in tires. I'm thinking some one changed the rims to a more practical larger rim. Ours has very little ground clearance with those small tires. Remember this was when rubber tires were just coming into use, so tire sizes were rather limited. This is why those first factory provided tires were so small.

Jacob WI

Subscriber
I agree, the rims must have been changed and welded on at some point. They are very old, so it could have been a few reasons.

So I also confirmed with a guy that has these wheels on a tractor (actually he restored the tractor for another guy, but anyway...). Originally the F&H round spoke rubber tire wheels were riveted on both the hubs and rims. They came in 28" rears and 18" fronts.

So I think that mystery is solved :)

Phil Johnson

Sponsor
If your rear wheels had hubcaps, there should be evidence of four evenly spaced bolt holes around the edge of the hub. If there are none, then it probably never had them. I probably have a set if you need them and a steering wheel.

Allis-Ford

Jacob/FWurth, it seems they once changed the rims. The reason we would never know but the current rim is I think wider than the original (I will look for the size) so it's possible to mount an wider/bigger tyre.
I removed the engine inspection covers and there is light rust and one big end has minor play. The shims are between the caps so there is probably the possibility to re-use the bearings. Time will tell.

Phil, I would be very glad to have the chance to buy some parts from you. I will sent you a private message.
There are no threaded holes in the read hubs so I think there never were hub caps on the tractor.

Thanks.