American Griffin Engine

Mike N

I would like to know if anyone has a photo or any information about an American Griffin Stationary Engine.american engine.jpg

I plan to make a scale model of this unique engine, I need more to find a source for a possible full size engine or at least good photos. Thanks:bonk:

Wayne Timms

Subscriber
The engine in your post I believe is actually an English Griffin 6 cycle engine. The engines were made by Dick, Kerr & Co. There is a reference to the engine in Patrick Knights A to Z of British Stationary Engines, pg 83.

They may have been made in the US. I am sure someone else may be able to answer this.

I only know of one horizontal 6 cycle Griffin engine, it is in a museum in Bath, England. The Anson Engine Museum has an inverted 6 cycle Griffin. You can find both of these on the internet if you search for them.

There is a 4 cycle in a private English collection. I recently acquired an engine which I believe to be a Griffin 4 cycle which has been rebadged.

Mike N

Thank-you for the response. I have searched the web for hours & hit lots of dead ends. I will keep looking, these engines were supposed to be built in New York also. I have have tried to search for patent papers, no luck!:shrug:

Wayne Timms

Subscriber
Hi,

If you type in 'Griffin Gas Engine' you will get a few hits. The museum in Bath is one of them, I took a look for myself and the comment that the engine would be in the museum has been removed. I saw it on there about a month ago. Maybe you can contact the museum direct.

The Anson Engine Museum definately has the inverted model. I would contact them directly if you want more info.

I have uploaded 2 pcitures I have in books. I can give you the details of the books if that helps.

Regards,
Wayne

Attachments

Mike N

I found an American version of the engine in the "yellow book" page 496, built by Henrik Strang of Chicago Illinois. I found the patent documents, US Patent # 615052 Nov. 29 1898 & 709060 Sept. 16 1902. This version looks a lot like the English Griffin engine. I will attempt to draw a 1/4 scale model & build a functional prototype.

D

DannyCarroll

I have a large early Griffin engine, the only one known to exist in the US. I would like to get your phone number and speak with you in person. My email address is dmcoldengines@yahoo.com.

I am going to bounce this back to the top.

Does anyone have a photo of an American built Griffin engine? I know of at least one but have yet to ever see a photo of it. - Wayne