American Marc AC 1

ArcWeilder

American MARC AC 1... any information?

Hello guys and first I would point out that I'm new to this site but I'm happy to have found it. Anyway I have this project I took part in at my automotive elective. Recently I have discovered that there were three diesel engines, each one bolted to the bottom of oil barrels and protected by emty egg cartons. We pulled one out and read on the front that it is an American MARC AC 1, painted dark green, possibly used in the military. Does any have any info as how to operate and fix it? I will provide any piece of info you need to narrow things down. Thanks

well this is the only thing that has an exact match up to what I have to fix up http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7avBDzYWWLs

Jerry Sweet

Re: American MARC AC 1... any information?

Run a post in the "Generators and Motors" section of SmokStak.they may have someone there that can help you.American Mark built generators and was a division of Global Marine.I had a American Marc "AC-2",it is a 90 degree V-2,air cooled 6KW Diesel.I sent for information on it about 1964 and they sent me the manual for the 'AC-1",but I've lost track of it.If I can find it I will get it to you.I think Global Marine was in Long Beach,Ca.,they are a offshore drilling company.The unit I had came from Richfield Oil Co.,they bought it Sept.1957 and put it on a well pulling rig,I was there when they first started it.

Keith Kessler

Hi,

I have an AC-1 on a military generator that sounds like yours. 24V starter and I start on 12 V. Open the compression release, spin it up with the starter. When the oil pressure comes up the governor opens the fuel control. At that point I close the compression release and it starts right up. Loud, shakes, runs forever on a gallon of fuel @ 1800 RPM. It has served me well after several hurricanes. I’ve a few frontal pictures someplace. It is currently buried in the shop under stuff. Pretty much no parts available. I had to rebuild the injector pump on mine. The ball-stud on the fuel control had broken off. I machined a new ball-stud and silver soldiered it into place. So far, so good.

Enjoy,

Keith Kessler

Ken Karrow

Subscriber
I have a small engine service manual (after market) that has 7 pages on American Marc AC1. If you PM me with your mailing address, I will copy the pages and send them by mail. The address for the company in 1966 which is when the manual was published is as follows: Diesel Engine Div., American Marc, Inc., 8831 South Aviation Blvd, Inglewood, CA. Will do the same for you Keith. Ken

ArcWeilder

Ok thanks for the support guys. I'll remember to post on the generators section. I could use a manual so thanks for the copy. Ill PM the address.

I will update on progress, but starting on the 21st is my christmas break so no autoclass. so far I have unbolted the head,and can tell by the location of the lines where the fuel injector pump, witch indicated that the system is gunked in lacker -if thats the right term. I also found out that I should have unhooked the connecting rod from the crank. Love the setup of the engine.

I am in the process of bringing an AC2 back to life. It's mounted on a dual output military generating set, I believe an Air Force GPU. I've got both cylinder barrels off, and pistons off the rods. One piston and cylinder suffered some trauma in the past but should clean up. I have reground the valves and deglazed the cylinders and am in the process of cleaning the gunk out of the injection pumps.
I ordered a set of rings from Dave Reed at Otto Gas Engine, once they get here the engine should be ready for reassembly. I have some videos up on YouTube, if you search american Marc you should see it. It think its the only video with a twin.
I will be interested to see your progress.

ArcWeilder

I have come one big step closer now that I have the manual for it. It has detailed blown up diagram of the parts and has a few troubleshooters and part measurements. It is just what I needed since the engine got a bit water logged in the time it spent bolted inside that oil drum.

larry young

Hi,

I have an AC-1 on a military generator that sounds like yours. 24V starter and I start on 12 V. Open the compression release, spin it up with the starter. When the oil pressure comes up the governor opens the fuel control. At that point I close the compression release and it starts right up. Loud, shakes, runs forever on a gallon of fuel @ 1800 RPM. It has served me well after several hurricanes. I’ve a few frontal pictures someplace. It is currently buried in the shop under stuff. Pretty much no parts available. I had to rebuild the injector pump on mine. The ball-stud on the fuel control had broken off. I machined a new ball-stud and silver soldiered it into place. So far, so good.

Enjoy,

Keith Kessler
kieth this sounds like my problem but you are a couple up on me, I cannot figure how to get pump apart. Maybe you could give me some advise on that. thanks larry 520-954-0169

marvgarr

I have a manual. There are no parts what so ever for these if any thing is messed up they are junk. I have two of them.

Brickman

I just got a American marc , cant get it started , smokes a loot when trying to start it, it is on a gen , sure could use a copy of the owners manual, I would realey like to get it running thanks for any help you can offer. ron brown

BTPost

Staff member
Direct injection Diesels are easy to troubleshot... All you need is Fuel, Air, & Compression... Did you check to make sure the Injection Pump is squirting High Pressure fuel Pulses to each Injector? Unhook the Injectors, at the top of each Injector and crank the engine and make sure, each on is pumping Fuel.... Is the smoke White, or Black? White indicates low compression. Black indicated Low Air.... If Black, replace the Air Filter, and try again... If white, go grab Momma's Hair Dryer, and blow Hot Air down the Intake Manifold... Once running, it doesn't take as much Compression to ignite the Fuel, as when Cold... and you thought all those Truckers used their Hair Dryers on their HAIR....