• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in all blanks. IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS, GIVE YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! We get hundreds of applications, so there is no time to deal with missing information.

American pickers in now,

AngrySailor

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/31/2020
That is why you just keep on scrolling till you find a channel you like.. You are right Jason, most people after work or in my case a full day of retirement schedule I want to watch something that doesn't require thought.. Most of the shows I watch are for entertainment only...
DOwn east it’s “after a long, hard day on the couch collecting pogey”!

Andrew Mackey

Last Subscription Date
05/14/2017
Several years ago, I saw them purchase a stuck 11/2 HP IHC M engine. All there, all original paint, probably wouldnt have taken much to get it running. They talked the owner down to 250 and doubleed their money. Nice ignitor engine, they probably could have tripled their money if they got theor hands dirty!

marathon man

Registered
Mike does rent from me at Marathon Village and is one of 80 companies in the old factory . We don't have an affiliation with his company . Before the Pickers moved in, my restroom costs were around $ 375.00 per month . After they opened their store my restroom costs are over $8000.00 per month . We make no profit on any tourist ! The Pickers were our 1st retail tenant and did help turn my 1st floor all retail . My industrial museum is free ! We only charge for parking to offset restroom costs . Mike does have a lot of employees and has a lot of overhead and did a great job on displaying his antiques . Those who are not Pickers fans are encouraged to come see my free historical car factory and over 100 pre-1914 machines and the six of 9 Marathon cars remaining in the world (that we know of ) ! Look me up and we will give any of the smokstak members a behind the scenes tour . Thanks, Barry Walker

Last edited:

Mark Abner

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
05/10/2019
Personal experience, first hand knowledge speaking here. In one episode "Frank" was trying to purchase an item and the fellow insisted it was not for sale. Frank assured the fellow the item would be placed into franks "personal" collection and well cared for, and they would not "flip" the item. For whatever reason, he decided to sell it to frank one collector to another. Several months later my personal best friend contacted their store in Nashville to inquire about the item and if it were to ever be offered for sale that he would be interested in trying to purchase it. They told him the item is actually sitting on the showroom floor in the Nashville store, they agreed on a price and my friend went to pick it up, he is in the process of restoring it now. So much for franks word and a handshake.

Jeff P Smith

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
02/04/2020
Mike does rent from me at marathon village and is only one of 80 companies in the old factory . we don't have anything to do with his company . Before the pickers moved in my restroom cost were around $ 375.00 per mouth , After they opened there store my restroom cost are over $ 8000.00 per mouth . we make no money on any tourist ! the picker was our 1st retail tenant and did make my 1st floor all retail . My industrial museum is free ! we only charge for parking to off set restroom cost . Mike does have a lot of employee's and has alot of over head and did a great job on displaying his antiques . If your not a pickers fan come see my free historical car factory and over 100 of pre- 1914 machines and The six of 9 marathon cars ! Look me up and will give any of the smokstak member a behind the scene tour . Thanks, Barry Walker
Barry, my brother and I visited about 3 years ago, we spent most of our time in your museum and really enjoyed ourselves. Thanks for making what you have available for people to see and enjoy.

BMyrkle

Registered
Last Subscription Date
06/05/2017
Personal experience, first hand knowledge speaking here. In one episode "Frank" was trying to purchase an item and the fellow insisted it was not for sale. Frank assured the fellow the item would be placed into franks "personal" collection and well cared for, and they would not "flip" the item.
Not questioning anything you wrote here, but if the show is largely scripted, it's quite possible that that bit of dialogue was too, and this 'agreement' was just for the show and not anything personal between the two.

A few years ago, one of the stars of the show Storage Wars sued the production company and lot of information about how that show is put together was revealed in the court documents, and it was WAY more scripted than I had ever dreamed. It was fake from top to bottom. As I recall, they would find interesting stuff for sale on Craigslist or a local shop, borrow it and hide it in a storage unit they pretend to sell to one of their people. Then they take this unique or valuable thing they 'found' back to the same person the show borrowed it from, who then pretends to appraise it or even buy it. It's all fake.

My wife watches a show called House Hunters, where people check out different houses or apartments in a city they want to move to with the help of a Realtor. I recently read an article from someone who was in two separate episodes of the show, and in each case, they already lived in the house they were supposedly checking out. The company just paid to have them move their things into storage so the house was empty, then paid them to pretend to house hunt and then pretend to move into the 'new' house. They even got their friends into the act, and the company paid their friends to put their stuff into storage, too, so they had empty houses to look at as possible places to move to.

I would be surprised if American Pickers was much different.

LCJudge

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/14/2019
The show “Turtleman” was scripted as well. Paul Cox, who dealt in engines and many of you knew, was hired to play the part of a backwoods hermit whose place was nearly destroyed by wild hogs. They filmed it but then the show got into some trouble with the state fish and wildlife dept. because the show was drugging non domesticated animals so Turtleman could catch them. It was taken off the air and Paul’s episode was never shown.

Sekiar

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/09/2019
A very good friend of mine had the guys there for over 8 hours along with about 11 support group and my friend said they were kind, helpful and did buy what they showed. He probably has one of the largest electronic, radios, and mechanical devices including engines. Also he's one of the most up to date collector I know. I watch the show just to help pass some down time and do, at times learn a thing or too. As for under paying about half of the bikes/motorcycles junk Mike buys I wouldn't let them load in my truck, however they are probable smarter as to the market than I. It's hard to find anything on TV today, fur us old farts, to watch and even less if a grandkid is watching with us. Anyway that what the remote control is made for. OFF or a channel change. Just my opinion which ain't worth two cents:)

LCJudge

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/14/2019
A very good friend of mine had the guys there for over 8 hours along with about 11 support group and my friend said they were kind, helpful and did buy what they showed. He probably has one of the largest electronic, radios, and mechanical devices including engines. Also he's one of the most up to date collector I know. I watch the show just to help pass some down time and do, at times learn a thing or too. As for under paying about half of the bikes/motorcycles junk Mike buys I wouldn't let them load in my truck, however they are probable smarter as to the market than I. It's hard to find anything on TV today, fur us old farts, to watch and even less if a grandkid is watching with us. Anyway that what the remote control is made for. OFF or a channel change. Just my opinion which ain't worth two cents:)
Charles, I'd say how much gets staged is totally dependent on how many items the owner they are visiting has and their willingness to sell. I remember the show you're talking about and I agree, that guy had more stuff than most all of the places they visit. They didn't have to stage a lot with him as he had row after row and shelf after shelf of items. And, if I remember correctly, it was fairly well organized. Much, much better than 95% of the places they show. No staging needed. If you were looking for something to try to buy or talk about, just turn to your left or right.

Sekiar

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/09/2019
Yes my friend has a list/description of every item and what's in each box. He has two boys, as far as I know aren't interested. My concern is that someday all of those great items won't make it to good homes where they will be appreciated for what they are. We can only hope all goes well with all of our toys, when we are no longer are able to care for them. Many years ago I missed a great collection of small, and not the common Maytag type engines, by only a couple of days. I did find out later they all went for scrap metal to a local junk yard, and when I finally got to search for then they were either covered with tons of junk or busted up. I really don't care who ends up with anything collectable as long as someone saves it from being turned into some modern junk from overseas. I'm through now:)

grub54891

Registered
Last Subscription Date
06/08/2010
One of the reasons I watch is, many years ago when I lived in Central WI, I was out by the garage and a pickup pulled in. Two guys get out and introduced themselves, stated they were looking for old bed frames, headboards or other antiques. I sent them on their way, then several years later they show up on TV. I'd imagine they were just starting out when they stopped by back then.

Sekiar

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/09/2019
Fred I enjoyed our two visits. Come again anytime, however nothing is for sale. My second go at old engines has filled my engine building with about 32 engines. From 1 hp to 35 hp and a lot in between. Charles

Tom G

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
Mike does rent from me at marathon village and is only one of 80 companies in the old factory . we don't have anything to do with his company . Before the pickers moved in my restroom cost were around $ 375.00 per mouth , After they opened there store my restroom cost are over $ 8000.00 per mouth . we make no money on any tourist ! the picker was our 1st retail tenant and did make my 1st floor all retail . My industrial museum is free ! we only charge for parking to off set restroom cost . Mike does have a lot of employee's and has alot of over head and did a great job on displaying his antiques . If your not a pickers fan come see my free historical car factory and over 100 of pre- 1914 machines and The six of 9 marathon cars ! Look me up and will give any of the smokstak member a behind the scene tour . Thanks, Barry Walker
I first met Mr. Walker many years ago at an automotive swap meet in Nashville, Tennessee. There was no Smokstak or internet in those days. He was displaying his Marathon car there and sharing the history of Marathon cars. He spoke of owning the Marathon factory building and future plans for it.

Some time ago, I visited the Marathon Village, housed in the old Marathon factory. There are several retailers located there along with an impressive display of artifacts. Walk the hallways and see automotive artifacts along with relics from the manufacturing process. There are lathes, drill presses, objects from an old foundry, along with many other items. You can spend a great deal of time there just browsing through them.

Then there is the Marathon car and artifact collection. This is housed across the street, and is the high point of going there. You can see cars which were actually manufactured in Nashville, along with other Marathon artifacts. Mr. Walker has made a huge effort to preserve this part of Tennessee history, along with the history of the Southern Engine and Boiler Works of Jackson, Tennessee. One of their portable steam engines is on display in the Marathon building. Collectors should applaud Mr. Walker's efforts . He has done things on a much grander scale than we will achieve.

Do yourselves a favor, and tour this tribute to history when you are in the Nashville area. I was there a while back and ran across Mr. Walker. I told him about meeting him years ago. He was very gracious and gave me a tour behind the scenes. I was allowed to see the engine for portable Southern steam engine. It was being cleaned up and painted. The boiler was already on display. He also showed me the Collier truck which was being redone in his shop. There is also a wonderful collection of early automotive memorabilia. VERY MUCH worth stopping there.

SO - if you don't care for American Pickers, avoid their shop, but do yourselves a favor and tour the rest of what Marathon Village has to offer. Keep in mind that as Mr. Walker has said, they are paying rent for their shop. That rent helps to keep Marathon Village going. Indirectly they are helping to preserve Tennessee history.

Thanks for the tour, Mr. Walker, and keep up your efforts!