• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When registering, please provide your CITY and STATE as your location!

Ames VIM

Brenda S

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
05/06/2016
Does anybody know where to find the serial numbers on the Ames VIM stationary steam engines? We are working on a 9x9 and an 8x8 that were built by the Ames Iron Works of Oswego, NY. They are both horizontal engines with cast iron bases. All the casting numbers on the 8x8 end in the letter C, starting with the engine bed which is number 1C. The only other number is 308 stamped in the end of the crankshaft with no letters. It is a high speed engine with the governor in the pulley.

The casting numbers on the 9x9 end in D with the engine bed being 1D. It has 846 stamped in the end of the crankshaft with no letters. This one just has a conventional flyball governor.

We haven't found any other numbers on them. Any ideas?
Brenda S :wave:

Batch33

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
06/26/2019
I will look at mine when I get home , but I do not recall seeing any when cleaning it up , the old saying is " three is a charm " :) you should have this one to round out your collectionames 006.jpg

Batch33

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
06/26/2019
I looked around, didn't find anything more than casting numbers, this engine is very clean not much in the way of corrosion, and no obvious areas that would have had a tag. The serial number on the governor is easily read so there is a good chance no serial number unless it's covered by the governor base or steam chest cover:shrug: