• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in all blanks. IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, GIVE YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

An ENGINE lead was obtained

Paul Spence

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/02/2020
about a year and a half ago, and after a follow up to the lead at the time, nothing was for sale as it was part of an estate. No mention, or information could be obtained on the engine or model except that the model was built as a model of a full sized engine, and the guessing began – what could it be :yikes: ? Then this past week, I was cleaning out some old notes found in the “follow up” bin and decided its time to “follow up”. I went to the address over the weekend, but no one was around :uhoh: . The next follow up call resulted in mr abc saying you need to talk to mr xyz later in the afternoon :rolleyes: . I called, and mr xyz wasn’t around, but ms xyz gave me some additional information, and that nothing was for sale, but would forward me a couple pictures. Well, that didn’t happen, so I called back in a few days, and mr abc gave me some history on the engines ;) . One was a restored F/M 3HP Z, and the other was a well known model of a rare engine, neither of which were for sale :p . So much for getting excited on finding a rare engine. All is good as I close out this lead and thank mr “Flea” market acquaintance for the information, and I still had a “FUN” day, even in NJ on the way through.

Ps: I also got an engine lead from a different ”FLEA” market acquaintance last week, that resulted in me finding another F/M 3HP Z on the way home that day - NFS. Just keep on looking I say, and one of these days I’ll find something interesting, that’s for sale :eek: .

Andrew Mackey

Last Subscription Date
05/14/2017
Paul, want a good engine at a fair price? Come to the Hudson Valley Auction in may! Plenty there at great prices!

Paul Spence

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/02/2020
I was chatting :bs: with a friend Friday, and he introduced me, as a collector of steam and hit & miss engines to a friend that was with him. His friend smiled and said I have 2 of these heavy cast iron things under a work bench in the shop that I need to get rid of :yikes: . Within the hour I was at his place, and yes they were their, buried behind a lot of “stuff”, in the way. He moved enough stuff out of the way so I could get a picture of the F/M Z-D (salt block) and what appears to be a No-Vo vertical “block” engine. He said he also had some coils, magnetos, oilers and pieces that were left from another collectors pick awhile back, floating :uhoh: around the shop. Seems the other collector did a cream pick and didn’t want what was left. I really don’t want those two “desirable :rolleyes: “ engines he left. But if the price gets right, I don't want them to go to scrap, and someone may want :p the disc type, starter flywheel engines, that I could someday pass along to a start up collector. I'll see soon if they come my way, right here, even in NJ :shrug: .

Attachments

Paul Spence

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/02/2020
Not again :shrug: , but what is one to do when he gets a call on a Monday @ 7:54am, saying please come and get us :( , we're two USE’s (Unidentified Skidded Engine’s) at an undisclosed location, right here in NJ. It took me three days to get them (check the trailer tires & lights & battery, find the straps & winch controller, line up help, and all that “stuff”). I can say I’m certainly slowing down as I left one there. One is mine :) , and the other just tagged along :O for temporary, safe, secure lodging :p . Just having “FUN” in NJ . Glad I didn't go today....:uhoh:

Attachments

Firewoodguy

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
02/01/2019
looks like a good trailer full of goodies! do I see a potato digger in front of the truck? the place your at looks to be a vegetable farm/greenhouse? Ive seen alot of them vegetable farms in south NJ past 15yrs closing the doors. Its a shame. good find on the iron and don't stop searching. :salute: