• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When registering, please provide your CITY and STATE as your location!

Another load of stuff, brought home today.

cobbadog

Registered
Great lot of new toys Ian. I too will find a small gen set one dy to connect to an engine. Those sycle mowers are a heap of fun to use. The Oxord allen Rotoscythe here really eats long grass so much so that a video I saw from overseas used one for cutting his 50 acres of wheat so he could then grind it and use it at his boutique bakery.
He used to cut it by hand.

karragullengine

Registered
Great lot of new toys Ian. I too will find a small gen set one dy to connect to an engine. Those sycle mowers are a heap of fun to use. The Oxord allen Rotoscythe here really eats long grass so much so that a video I saw from overseas used one for cutting his 50 acres of wheat so he could then grind it and use it at his boutique bakery.
He used to cut it by hand.
Would you have a link to that video, would love to see it.

cobbadog

Registered
Sorry I dont have a link to it, maybe use their search engine but there are many videos of the ROtoscythes in action and boy dont they knock down some long grass.
Also I think it was a German video showing a new scythe cutting a 5 acre paddock down in under 15 minutes using a new walk behind hydraulic driven scythe with huige flotation tyres and a bloody wide cutting bar.

rodneyt

Registered
Nice items.

but
(apologies for seemingly being nit-picky)
to all whom it may concern
I do object to the use of word rotoscythe when referring to sickle-bar mowers / finger-bar mowers.
I am not aware of Allens of Oxford ever making a rotoscythe,
but note I have not made a study of all their products, anything is possible.

'me too' which particular video was being referred to?

There was a mower branded Rotoscythe,
https://www.outdoorking.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/51092/further-history-of-rotary-rotoscythe-30s-40s.html
Mobilco made / sold a type of machine which also fits the name,
and Howards labelled at least one model of tractor mounted slasher a Rotascythe in the UK.
google rotoscythe, rotascythe, allenscythe for etc stuff,

cheers Rod.
rotascythebrochure-hhoward-ebayuk2019dec29a.jpg

cobbadog

Registered
The Oxford Allen Rotosythe does exist and have one in the shed. IOt is based on the designed mentioned a sickle bar or finger bar designed cutting edge on the front. What I hjave described is what I have always described them as and in making searches for such animals come up wih exacly what is in the shed.
If what I am describing is wrong, what is it I have?

Glenn Ayers

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
02/18/2019
I think the "Offending Word" here .. IS .. ""ROTO""
Calling a "Search" for "Oxford Allen Rotosythe" , does indeed bring forth many examples of Allen Oxford or Oxford Allen or Allen "POWER SYTHE" OR "MOTOR SYTHE" ..... BUT, NO examples anywhere of a "Rotary" or "Roto" unit ... All sickle-bar type mowers ... nothing rotary about the mowing action.
Calling something by a regionally accepted name does not make it correct.
I know guys that use the word "Ideal" .. when they really mean "Idea" ... but that doesn't make it correct.
Sort of like guys that call anything with tracks, a Bulldozer .... when in fact they are "Track Type Tractors" ... & the dirt pushing attachment on the front is the "Bulldozer".
In defense of Cobbadog .... hey Cobba .. can you show us a picture of any decal or casting that shows ROTOSYTHE on your machine ?

Scotty 2

Registered
Would love one of those web mowers! Nice pick ups.
Your not on your Pat Malone there. We could really use one of those when it rains again.
Lucky there's a big moat around your place Ian. :LOL:

That little Ronny seems to be in pretty good nick as well. The bottom of the tank seems very clean.

Cheers Scott

Clapper

Registered
Your not on your Pat Malone there. We could really use one of those when it rains again.
Lucky there's a big moat around your place Ian. :LOL:

That little Ronny seems to be in pretty good nick as well. The bottom of the tank seems very clean.

Cheers Scott
Hi Scotty

I'm just about to pull up the drawbridge, got to keep all those climate change refugees out, dont what them down in Tas buying up all the good stuff.

Cheers

Ian

isandian

Registered
I think the term "autoscythe' is the correct one for Clapper's new toy and for the Allen Oxford version. At Fagan Park we have an Atco version also, a nice little machine which cuts to one side, which is very handy as you don't have to run over the already cut grass, but on the other hand is a bit of a handful being to one side. Also at Fagan Park we do have a truly rotary one. I do not have any ID here but will take a photo at the next opportunity.Atco Scythe.JPG

isandian

Registered
Ducked up to Fagan Park and took a few photos. It is called "The Farmers Boy" and is powered by a Villiers MK12HS engine. It apparently was available with many attachments, ours known as "The Bushwacker" - not a very user friendly implement!
There are a couple of youTube videos with cultivator attachments at the rear. Note it even had a belt pulley to drive a sawbench or similar.
Not sure if that belt would stay on!
Ian

IanFarmers Boy 2.JPGFarmers Boy 3.JPGFarmers Boy 1.JPG

cobbadog

Registered
G'Day Glen,
No I cant show or even see the word ROTO on the Oxford Allen but as has been mentioned this is what they re commonly called so I stick with that idea so that everyone is on the same page and understands what it is I am describing. It also has a Villiers engine but nowhere does it say this on the mower.
The English language certainly is strange on a good day along with sayings that are often used but make no sense;
"Stand Fast" and "Raise the building to the ground" (WTF) now that takes the cake but hardly hear them say knocked to the ground. A shovel is a non automatic hole maker or ballast leveller but it is still a shovel, spades can do similar jobs too. So many things that are not right about English language, spelling and pronunication would drive us all mad or madder if we let it.
Anyway enough dribble on this, I am happy that you wish to call it something different and I will continue to call it an Oxford Allen Rotosythe mainly because I'm too old to change what I have known it to be, sorry. I don't mean to be or sound offensive all of the above aremy views and you have put forward yours.