• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in all blanks. IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS, GIVE YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! We get hundreds of applications, so there is no time to deal with missing information.

Another Reid

JWithers

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
I like the choke tube you made for it. After we get our 15 started we thread in a reducing bushing down to 1 inch. I may have to explore your idea.

Skidmore

Registered
Last Subscription Date
01/24/2016
You can really dial a Reid in with the two adjustments. Shut the air off with the chock and start turning the acetylene gauge down to 5 or below. Puts the engine under a load and helps with misfiring also make the propane bottle last longer at the shows:)

Attachments

David A.

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
04/10/2019
just got my reid 15 hp, home, I need a pic of the oiler tree on main brgs, mine is missing the tree and related oiler and wiper, or brush, I have the part on the con rod. I am guessing that the orig color on reid's are red?, Mine has red paint( old), and green flywheel faces, will post pic this evening, thanks a lot, any info would be great, thanks dave in ark

Skidmore

Registered
Last Subscription Date
01/24/2016
David A here is a Picture of my Sons 15 hp Script Reid. It's painted with PPG Lacquer. Dark Carmine it was used on 1976 GM trucks. He wanted all the Bells & whistles on his engine. Check out the oiler tree.

Attachments

Peter Holmander

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/23/2019
I have followed this thread from the beginning and I noticed that on all your Reid engines, you remove all the clean out covers. I'm assuming that it is to make sure they are as clean as possible so cooling water will flow properly and also to check for any freeze damage. Is there any other reason? I've never had them off my 15 and was wondering if maybe I should do mine.

Skidmore

Registered
Last Subscription Date
01/24/2016
Peter, We always pull the covers off and pressure wash out the acorns, mice nest and mud. A lot of times a cover is cracked or a broken stud and then you got water leaking. Like any rebuild you got to replace all the gaskets.

Last edited:

Skidmore

Registered
Last Subscription Date
01/24/2016
Can anyone tell me if Wico Oc Mags were built in both Right and Left hand configurations. They are correct side up on right hand Reid engine but upside down on the Left hand. Check out the photo

Left hand dial is upside down Right hand dial on top easy to access

Attachments

W.P.Klein

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
01/19/2020
Can anyone tell me if Wico Oc Mags were built in both Right and Left hand configurations. They are correct side up on right hand Reid engine but upside down on the Left hand. Check out the photo

Left hand dial is upside down Right hand dial on top easy to access
They were made with a crossover shaft that allowed the control to be on the other side via external cogs. Hard to find them though.
Bill Klein