• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When registering, please provide your CITY and STATE as your location!

Another Twin City 25 model in the works

Culy

Registered
Last Subscription Date
08/27/2010
Got started a couple of days ago on the next tractor build. Not a Rumely this time. This one will be of a Twin City 25 (later model w/inline engine) The last TC I did was a 25 cross mount (early). There are differances between the two on componants both dimensionally and physically. One of the items that is different is the front axle. The early model had simple truss style that only rocked in the bolster. The later model had a different truss style and had a spring suspension and rocked in the bolster. I couldn't use my old drawings for it and had to draw up new ones. The frame was slightly changed through the production but not much, just some different material on places that would have strengthened it structurally. Will keep you posted as I progress through the project.

Attachments

Culy

Registered
Last Subscription Date
08/27/2010
A few more pics of the build! Plus a couple of the real 25 that I am building from. These ought to get your attention, how many 25's are surviving.:O

Attachments

Culy

Registered
Last Subscription Date
08/27/2010
I get the bands from a local amish shop that makes wheels. He wont disclose who he gets the bands from other than somewhere in Pa. Believe me, I've tried numerous times to find out myself. I have bought enough from him the past few years and I do get a price break. The other week I was picking up a load of wheels from him when a one ton flatbed with Pa. plates pulled in loaded heavy with bands. The shop owner was getting nervous when I went out to talk with the driver trying to find out who rolls them. The driver wouldnt disclose any contact info. just kept saying they dont have phones so I wouldnt be able to call them.

Kevin O. Pulver

Email NOT Working
Last Subscription Date
02/14/2020
It sounds like he's treating you well, so I guess it doesn't matter.

I looked all over a few years ago to see who could bend channel iron the way it was done on the drop frame Economy carts. I found several places around the country that could do ANYTHING you could imagine with iron. They could bend I-beam, angle, channel, or whatever, and they could bend it in whatever axis you wanted it bent. One axis they'd call, "the easy way" and if it was bent in another axis, they'd call it, "the hard way". They had videos of them bending something like a 16 inch I beam into a circle!

I never could get a price from them on the phone, because they wanted to know exact radius in which I wanted it bent, etc... so I kinda pushed it to the back burner, but I think it would be real neat to make some drop frame carts for the small Economies, like they had for the big ones.
(Using 3" channel instead of 6")

The center of those wheels had a groove rolled into the middle so the riveted spoke heads wouldn't hit the ground. I wonder if your guy could do that?

OTTO-Sawyer

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/15/2019
....a couple of the real 25 that I am building from. These ought to get your attention, how many 25's are surviving.:O
Whatever the number, it's good to see it bumped up higher by another 1/2.:cool:

Culy

Registered
Last Subscription Date
08/27/2010
Otto, does that mean when this one is done, there will be a whole one or two halfs to add to the list???
(1/2 + 1/2 = 1):O :D

Culy

Registered
Last Subscription Date
08/27/2010
Well I only had about 4 hours of dedicated work on it today with other things that customers brought it. I did get the front bolster built in that time though. It came out really nice, so tomarrow I can get it mounted to the frame and get the rear mounted. I was fortunate enough last week to find some brand new Foote 5 spd tranaxles for a very good price :O and only had to drive about 35 miles. These little Footes (dana spicer co.) work nice for these type of builds. They are identical to the one I used on the last T/C except the axles are too long, but that is what they make cut-off wheels for, right? ;) On this build I going keep count of how many rivits it takes to build a T/C. Anybody care to guess early?

Attachments

ihredo4

Registered
Accordin to what is on Steel_Wheels.net there are 6 of them listed. Thank You David for assemling that data.

Culy

Registered
Last Subscription Date
08/27/2010
front meets frame

I finished up the details on the rivets today and got the front end mated to the frame. It looks good! I started to get the transaxle fitted up, still got to finish the mounting brackets in the morning.
I took one of the pics from today progress and one of the pics the customer had sent and superimposed the two together and added a splash of color to the bare steel shot. The two matched really good.

Attachments

OTTO-Sawyer

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/15/2019
Otto, does that mean when this one is done, there will be a whole one or two halfs to add to the list???
(1/2 + 1/2 = 1):O :D
I figured another 1/2 of each style since you indicated that this one was different from your other one:shrug:, in line versus cross motor.

How ever you figure it, I enjoy seeing your work.

Culy

Registered
Last Subscription Date
08/27/2010
rivets, rivets and more rivets

I got the side plates on the main frame. Twin City workers sure must have been healthy workers to put that many rivets on one machine. I spent the good part of the morning drilling holes and cutting some rivets to length.
I made up a nice fixture to hold them while cutting, worked pretty good. Only took about a 1/2 hour to cut 52 of them down to size. Learned real quick they don’t cool down too fast, I’ve got a good rivet impression seared on 2 fingers. :O (Figured out, that’s what pliers are for). :bonk:
I got the sheet metal all cut for the fenders and the edges are bent now to accept the rods so I can get them formed and hammered in place.
Good Saturday morning job to start the day.

Attachments

Last edited:

Culy

Registered
Last Subscription Date
08/27/2010
Haven't posted any update lately. Been slowly getting progress done, sorry no pics as not much to really show. I did get some different decal material that I wanted to do a trial with. It seems to be working fine so far. I made up some mugs with a downscaled version of the TC logo for testing. So far microwaving hasn't affected them and many cycles in the dishwasher hasn't either. I want to subject them to sunlight to see if fading will be an issue. I got some clear backed and some white backed. The white is much more vivid and the background color doesn't change the color hues, unlike the clear. I spent today searching patents and found some interesting TC stuff you might enjoy. Seems like Walter J. McVicker and Richard Ruemelin were fairly active in the Minneapolis Steel and Machinery Co. Here are a few PDF's to study.

Attachments

Culy

Registered
Last Subscription Date
08/27/2010
Here is an interesting tractor from Ruemelin for Minneapolis Steel and Machinery Co.
BTW anyone know if there is a way to compress a pdf down a little? I had to convert a few over to jpeg since they were too big of a file for the site.

Attachments

OTTO-Sawyer

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/15/2019
I guess there have been other threads dealing with decals, but if you're experimenting with something different, could you maybe start another thread just on that, and what works and what doesn't work for you.

I bought a decal kit several years ago for using with a regular computer printer, but still haven't gotten around to trying it out yet. With my luck, the materials are probably too old to use anymore by now. My printer is dead right now anyway, but I do have a few decals in mind that I want to make some day.

Might as well learn a few tips and tricks from others while I'm waiting to replace my printer.

Culy

Registered
Last Subscription Date
08/27/2010
frame done and on the floor

Todays update will take a few posts, bear with me.
The frame is now done and off the table. It turned out pretty good. I will finish the build on the floor now that it is getting more weight to it.
I got a new camera the other week and now that I am used to it my shop shots look alot better.:D

Attachments

Culy

Registered
Last Subscription Date
08/27/2010
fender time

I cut all the sheet stock and started on the fenders.
1. after cutting I folded the edges to 120°
2. layed 3/16 rod in the fold and worked the edge over by hand
3. after working over I dollied the edge tighter

More to come!!!

Attachments

Culy

Registered
Last Subscription Date
08/27/2010
roll and first fit

After the forming I ran the fenders through the roller and did a first fit.
The key shaped form around the rod tightened with the rolling.
I need to drill holes around the inner and outer fender edges every 1 3/8" through the double thickness and put rivets in yet. Oh boy, more holes :bonk:

Attachments