• If you like what you see here and your interests are compatible with our 30,000 other users, Welcome. Fill out the registration form with your interests, your real name (seen only by moderators) and your city, state or country. Be certain that you have spelled your email address correctly! Your account is then manually checked and approved.

Anyone Else Build Foundry Patterns

DKamp

Registered
Hmmm... Frank- that looks like a switch I saw on an old electrified dumbwaiter when I worked for an elevator company... at the time it seemed novel, but after all these years, I wonder why they invested so much in that, when it would've required less resources to just make a dedicated mechanism...

Frank DeWitt

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/17/2019
I can only guess that back then castings were a normal way of doing thing. They probably had there own foundry and mechanical designers. Electric on the other hand was new and different and a bit scary

LCJudge

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/14/2019
I've made simple patterns through the years. I had a pattern maker tell me once "pattern making isn't all that hard, you just have to think everything in reverse"........heck, I have enough trouble thinking everything in "forward".....doing it in reverse.....no way!

NAR

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/09/2019
Quote, “Hey all I build founder patterns anyone else do this?”

The first wood pattern I made for an engine was for the base for an Otto & Langen atmospheric engine when I was six years old after seeing it in Wendel’s yellow book; I still have the pattern.

The pictures below show some of the patterns & stuff I made for the Type E engine, all handmade. After I found out a couple people started casting off my castings I was selling as a kid I started doing things on later designs of the engines & the castings to hopefully deter people from using my castings as a pattern again. It also made the designs of the engines kind of unique. My Type D engine has a couple deep draws & a special parting line, & the Type E engine below has a helix twist base, both without cores & core boxes for simplicity/less pieces to mess with when casting.

I'm hoping to do some patterns for a Type F this fall but time will tell.

-Nick

Type E1.jpg
Type E3.jpg
Type E5.jpg
Type E7.jpg
Type E8.jpg