• If you like what you see here and your interests are compatible with our 30,000 other users, Welcome. Fill out the registration form with your interests, your real name (seen only by moderators) and your city, state or country. Your account is then manually checked and approved. There is too much funny business on the web for us to do otherwise. Be sure to use a working email address and do not use cloaking or anonymous web connections.

Anyone Familiar With Cotton Gins?

JWitt

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/20/2020
I picked these up at the flea market. The guy said that he had dug them up at site where a cotton gin had burned down.
The look like brackets for a roller or bearing. I just thought that they were cool looking with the stars across the top.
6” between mounting holes and about 2 3/4” tall.

Jim

Attachments

Andrew Mackey

Last Subscription Date
05/14/2017
Re: Anyone familiar with cotton gins?

You have part of a roller bearing assembly for a foot treadle grindstone. you are missing the 2 roller wheels. They would have set in the 2 notches in the lower section in the center picture in your post. The grindstone I had was about 2 feet in diameter, 2" wide and was made of white fine sandstone The grinding wheel had a 3/4" axle with a bell crank on one end that went to a foot pedal. The axle rested on the 2 roller wheels (about 1" in diameret) that had a 5/16 axle on them (one piece cat iron). There was a bearing assembly on both sides of the grindstone. It was on a wooden frame, about 3' long that could be carried around by 2 men. A tin can with a pinhole in it supplied water to keep the stone clean and help cool the piece to be sharpened. My grindstone was made in the 1870s.