• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, give complete answers and fill in all blanks. Be Considerate, this is an application to JOIN Smokstak, therefore it becomes part of a decision to open the door to you or send you off to the dropout file. Place your City, State, Country in the location box and it will be compared to where the internet lookup utilities say that you are. Don't give me a zip code to look up, the Eject button is much easier. We get hundreds of applications, so there is not time for monkey business.

Anyone here done the Mackinaw Bridge crossing?

BMyrkle

Registered
Last Subscription Date
06/05/2017
I am planning to do the tractor crossing this year. It always conflicts with a show I usually go to (Michigan Flywheelers), but it looks like a lot of fun. My wife wants to do it, too, which is not always the case when it comes to tractor stuff.

I know the rules and requirements, but any thoughts or advice from those who've done it (other than don't break down)?

Photo

G Willikers

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
05/01/2019
I have only been across by car or truck. But my advice would be, if you wear a wide brimmed hat, strap it down!:D

Target Driller

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/15/2019
I’ve made that crossing a few times. Spectacular views from the bridge on both sides.
Take a trip all the way to Soo Locks ... Great museum.

Big Bird

Registered
Last Subscription Date
02/16/2018
I've also made many trips across the Mackinac Bridge...
But mostly when I was very young and in a slide in pickup camper...
Incredible view out Window of the upper bunk over the cab of the truck... not so much fun when your scared of heights.
Just have your papers in order at the troll booth. :salute:

DaveHC

Registered
I haven't done the tractor crossing myself , but a close friend in our local club did a couple years ago with another guy . He said it was great, really enjoyed it, and plans to do it again .

jgreen416

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/23/2020
My wife and I are spending the summer at our cabin site near Cheboygan, which is just south of Makinaw. Wife nixed watching parade due to rain but we took in horse and tractor pulls at Cheboygan fair and also Escanaba in the UP. Recently took in the museum aboard lake freighter at the Soo mentioned in previous post, great time. Leaving for Fl. 10/1.
JG

Attachments

BMyrkle

Registered
Last Subscription Date
06/05/2017
I finally got everything parked and put away yesterday morning after 4-5 days of very enjoyable tractorin'. Anyone thinking about making the trip up to cross the Mighty Mac via antique tractor should do it!

I have to say that this event is one of the most well-organized, smartly-run and friendly antique tractor experiences I have ever had. They've had a few years now to work all the bugs out, and it certainly seems like they have.

Even for first-timers like my wife and I, everything was smooth sailing. From unloading at the Mackinaw City staging area to parking at the St. Ignace airport, they have it figured out. No small feat to manage 1,500 tractors with their associated trailers and trucks.

Wife drove our Farmall H and I drove an Oliver 88, and neither of us had any problems. Plus, there are so, so many great tractors to check out. I can't remember the last 'tractor show' I've been to that had as many, if ever.

The way the whole city of St. Ignace is taken over by tractors and tractor people the whole weekend is pretty cool. It seemed like some hotels had more tractors in their parking lots than cars. Everyone acted like they really appreciated the event, too, from the servers in the restaurants to the toll-takers on the Bridge.

Not even the damp weather on Friday morning dampened any spirits that I could tell. Lots of people lining the streets for what had to seem like an endless tractor parade. The parade is so long that by the time we were actually crossing the Bridge, some people were already loaded and heading back home.

Just due to the distance (340 miles from our farm to the Bridge), it is not something I see us doing every year; but I doubt this first time will be our last. I didn't get any good pictures going across the bridge, 'cause I was afraid I'd drop my phone. But, my wife took this cool shot of us heading home over the Bridge.

Highly recommended!

Attachments

Trail twister

Registered
I have driven over the Macinaw bridge in every thing legal to drive across with.
Yes I have crossed it with a semi many times driving for a company in Tompson Michigan west of Manistique.
Rode across it several times our our motorcycle and toured the UP from the Soo to Iron wood and back down thru Escanaba to the bridge.

Brother and I used to take a week long snowmobileing vacation every March cross the bridge with a 4 place trailer with sleds.

Have also been over it with a pick up and 11 foot slide in camper many times also when we were going to Canada fishing every summer.

Have been across it with our antique car a couple times St Ignace has a huge antique car show every year in June 28 the Thursday thru Sunday 2019.

But I have never crossed it on one of My antique tractors. My nephew took his Massey 101JR across this year.

:D Al

PLCtech

Registered
I'm sure provisions have been made for breakdowns. It looks like fun. I watched the first (reported as first) crossing by horse and carriage by a Mennonite or Amish family. That was 50 years ago. BTW five miles it is not.

BMyrkle

Registered
Last Subscription Date
06/05/2017
I'm sure provisions have been made for breakdowns.
Yes, most people were carrying a tow-strap, and there were probably a couple dozen who had to be towed across when they couldn't make it under their own power.