• If you like what you see here and your interests are compatible with our 30,000 other users, Welcome. Fill out the registration form with your interests, your real name (seen only by moderators) and your city, state or country. Be certain that you have spelled your email address correctly! Your account is then manually checked and approved.

Anyone Near Reno, Nevada?

Vanman

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
06/10/2020
Re: Anyone Near Reno, NV?

Yeah, I think it's adorable! :D I've been racking my brain trying to figure out just what I'd do with it, but I still want it. :O

I think they were marketed for camping, like for lighting. That would be a fun use for it. :)

I sent the seller a note, asking if he ever travels down this way, but I'm not holding my breath lol. :shrug:

Vanman

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
06/10/2020
Re: Anyone Near Reno, NV?

Just an update: Toesmack very graciously came forward and generously offered to pick up this little Kohler for me, which he has now done. :salute:

I have paid him for the generator, but will pay him some more when we meet, for his troubles.

We will meet in a couple of months while he's at a show that is MUCH closer to me than Reno, NV. I'm looking forward to the meeting, and to picking up the little Kohler.

The Stakkers are great bunch of guys and gals! Thank you again. :salute:

I grabbed this image off the web which describes the "little" 350 watt, 75 lb! :eek: generator set.

Attachments

Last edited:

DKamp

Registered
I'd be willing to bet that for $100, that 100lb 350w generator will pull a heavier load than the Harbor Freight $120 so-called 880-watt generator. ;)

...and last a hundred and fifty years longer doin' it...

Vanman

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
06/10/2020
Just to provide closure to this thread, I met Toesmack in Bakersfield and took delivery of the "little" Kohler yesterday. :D

Thank you again, SO much!

It certainly looks small, and the engine appears to be mostly aluminum, but this little bugger is every bit of the 75 lbs it's supposed to be lol. Weight appears to be evenly split between engine and generator as the handle is right in the middle.

Overall looks to be in good condition. The nameplate cleaned up beautifully with an oily rag, engine has some compression, the throttle and choke move freely, and the fuel tank looks great inside. Haven't checked for spark yet. The tiny little brushes, commutator, and collector rings all look good. Plastic air cleaner ("clear view") is broken, but I'll see about getting a metal replacement. Oil is clean, and looks to be just a little sludge in the bottom.

I cleaned out some cobwebs and dirt, and removed the rotted plywood bottom and rubber mounts. I don't think that plywood was original, so I'll get some nice rubber feet for it instead.

I've promised myself not to start anymore projects until I finish some others :bonk: so all I've done so far is sort of checked it into inventory at this point. I may see about getting it running soon, but I'll start a proper thread for it when any work begins on it in earnest. It actually looks like it probably doesn't really need much more than a good cleaning and servicing.

Thanks again,
Keith

Last edited:

s100

Registered
To paraphrase Paul Harvey, "Now for the stupid part of the story."

A couple of years ago I had the opportunity to buy one of those locally here in SE Mi from a craigslist ad for $40. It looked to be in great shape but the fuel tank was rusty inside, as I recall. My nose was out of joint because the idiot who was selling the thing claimed the engine was "at least 3 1/2 HP" and was "good for a go-kart or mini bike" and as such was worth more than the asking price. I offered him $20 for it over the phone and when he said no I got disgusted and hung up. Sometimes these fools are their own worst enemy. In retrospect I should have given him the $40 and been done with it, as I already have that generator's bigger sister, the 750W version. The two would have made a good pairing. But that was part of the problem. I bought mine for $30 and it not only ran, but the self-starting system worked (where you hook up a battery to the thing, and when you apply a load to the 110V terminals the engine starts itself and runs until the load is removed.) I figured if the bigger machine in running shape was only worth $30, certainly the little one shouldn't go for more than $20.

Maybe I'll get the next one.

Vanman

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
06/10/2020
Well, there's been one on fleabay for quite some time. Only $600! :eek: And I'm sure that it will be there for quite some time longer lol.