Anyone who welds - pro or hobby - this is a MUST read (SAFETY)

S

speleausmining

phosgene was one of the primary fillers in gas shells during WWI thats why its often confused with mustard gas. I have never experianced that gas yet though. I have experianced chlorine gas while disolving mortar samples for analisis...nasty stuff. I have also, while doing a fire assay on sulphide ore, got a noze full of Hydrogen Sulphide gas again not pleasant. While we are on the topic of welding hazards I am surprized no one has brought up radiation hazards. Some Tig welding rods contain thorium, a radioactive element that you really do not want in your lungs. Likewise some alloys (mostly aluminum or zinc) contain thorium so care is advisable. Be carefull of some bronze and brass material also. Arsenic bronze was once commonly used for things like pipe fittings which while relatively harmless as is its a big problem if you cut grind or melt it. All this to say wearing some kind of dust mask is just smart practice.

"DANGER" When using chlorinated solvents

I worked as a maintenance welder in a plant that made heat exchangers. they used a lot of tri chlor and per chlor ethlyene as a degreasing agent. The way it works is a part that has been cleaned by an chlorinated solvent, as it's heated it changes the fumes to hydrachloric acid. Then those fumes as it's exposed to the ultra violet light, from the welding arc. Turns the fumes to phosgene gas, which can be deadly. If using the chlorinated solvents, heat up the part with a propane torch outside, keeping yourself upwind and burn the solvent off. Then the part is ready for welding.

---------- Post added at 01:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:41 PM ----------

I also wanted to add that when you heat up a metal part that has been cleaned with a chlorinated solvent. The fumes will smell like newely mowed hay.