• The old site search from Google needs to be updated. Use the Search at the Upper Right, or use What's New in the center - it has a drop down arrow. You will need to change your Favorits by right click mouse and clicking favorites. Many of the posts in How to Use This Web Site are old so the links may or may not work. I have one hell of a lot of work to do!

Are there any New Way engine serial numbers listed?

Scott Vassar

I was wondering if there is any serial number lists for new way engines around ? my 2 1/2-3 1/2 vertical number is 10043. the others I've seen have a 4 digit serial number with the tag showing a flyweel with the new way logo. mine just has the wording new way on it . Is this an earlier engine? there is a casting number of 1906 on the crank case upper half. Any ideas? thanks in advance, scott:shrug:

Scott Vassar

Re: are there any new way engine serial number list?

I ran out to my shop & looked at the tag . its a 3-31/2hp A type C engine. the tag only has 1 patent :bonk:date of 1904.

James L Johnson

Re: Are there any new way engine serial numbers listed?

To my knowlege there is no serial number list which was not uncommon for a lot of engine's.
Those with tags Hp, Style and serial number was found on the tag.
On the "J" or JEWEL series there was no tag, the HP was determined by flywheel diameter and face width, the serial number was on the top of the main frame casting where the cylinder bolts on.
On the "S" or Standard they had a tag which list HP style and serial number.
The STANDARD was Listed as available in 6, 6 1/2 or 7 HP I have only seen it in the 6 hp but they were the same.
On the "M" series they had no tag and the HP was Painted on the schroud, and I don't know where the serial number is found.
On the "M" series fuel pump model the HP and Model is painter on the schroud
I have a 2 1/2 or 3 hp with nothing it has been repainted, I also have a 4hp and it is a model "U", and again I don't know where the serial number is.
On the "M" series kerosene models again hp and model is painted on the schroud,my 3HP is a model"ME" and the 4 HP is a model "RF", and again I don't know where the serial number is.
Hope this info is of some help.:shrug::shrug:
Jim out West:):)

John Davidson

eMail NOT Working
I have a 3-3 1/2 HP verticle New Way sn 1726 that has "1906" embossed in the side of each flywheel. Has 4 1/2 X 6" B & S with 20" FW.

Scott Vassar

john, I saw your engine at jim keats show several years ago. If memory serves me, you also showed the eli that year. james, your info is helpful, I guess what I was asking was if there is a way to approximate the year a new way engine was built based on the serial number. thanks, scott

James L Johnson

I have a number of NEW-WAYS in my collection but I don't have any paper work, such as a bill of sale that I can put a specific date to and establish a year for any one engine. That being said about all one could do is to say it falls in this time period.:shrug::shrug:
All I can say is that those with a hinged crankcase are the earlier desing the JEWELS fall into this time frame also.

James L Johnson

Today I spent some time going thru some of my NEW-WAY paper work, only found 3 pieces that had dates on them.
1. Stephen B Church NEW-WAY booklet testimonials dated 1909, items in booklet 3 1/3 - 6 hp model C type C and a 7 hp twin.
2 Add in the Country Gentleman dated 1917 shows a eatlie binder engine Model F.
3. Advertisement for Kerosene engines 1917.
Looked over some of my engines 6 hp model D type D patent date of 04-08
#573 This engine was sold by John Deere Agency in Spokane, Wa.
6hp model D type D #522 engine solde by John Deere Agency Portland Or.
7 hp twin patent date 1909 #3109 7 hp twin patent date 04 thru 08 #1237
8 hp twin patent date 09 and 10 #768. 6 hp Standard patent date 09 #1135
12 hp twin patent date 09 #1783, 12 hp twin patent date 09 #564, 12 hp twin #727 (not mine).
Various models of Type C ( split crankcase ) Various hp"s # between 742 and11002.
Model D type F patent date 09 and 10 # B1519 this engine is like the one in the Country Gentleman.
With all this said I can't figure how serial numbers were assigned to an engine, it may be as they were produced what ever number was next is what number it was given:shrug::shrug: One thing they all fall before 1924 when NEW-WAY went out of bussiness.
Hope this is of some use.
Jim out West aka MR NEW-WAY:):)

highpockets003

I have a number of NEW-WAYS in my collection but I don't have any paper work, such as a bill of sale that I can put a specific date to and establish a year for any one engine. That being said about all one could do is to say it falls in this time period.:shrug::shrug:
All I can say is that those with a hinged crankcase are the earlier desing the JEWELS fall into this time frame also.
James, et al,

You mention the NW hinged crank case. I have an SACV 3.5hp #6686 which has the hinges (well, one of them anyway. Some moron broke the other one off. :headbang: ) Do you know when the hinged design was terminated for the 3.5's? :shrug:

Attachments

Last edited:

AussieIron

Subscriber
Yes Jay Vee, -- George, at new way stations, has recently put a lot of work into narrowing down models and types of the New Way line. It would have been a big job, but by putting all known information such as cooling fin configurations, flat belts,round belts, hinged cranks, serial nos ,ect, together, he has the build periods starting to make sense. We all know New Way records were lost after the company ceased. The serial numbers are hard to make sense of and some models share the same number. There is a good serial number break down that George has just completed. Exact dates are difficult to say, but you can get a general idea. Recommend all New Way owners visit this site, have a read and add to their knowledge and contribute any ideas. A lot of good stuff there. Cheers-Neil.