• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in all blanks. IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS, GIVE YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! We get hundreds of applications, so there is no time to deal with missing information.

Are there enough magnetos to go around?

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

Ed Kinch

Hi All, I do some magneto repair,some magneto charging,some buying and selling,some trading.You need a lot of expensive equipment and parts to do a proper repair,along with a lot of knowledge and experience.I think Ted and some of the other mag. repair guys will agree we do NOT get rich!

Ed Kinch

Ted Brookover

In Memory Of
Hi Ed, I have been pretty put off by this whole thread, it started with a reasonable question but soon degenerated into another "Bashing" party.

Since Mr. Ackley contacted me on June 22 of this year for prices on Mag work, I must be one of the targets of his remarks.

I am not going to defend myself or anyone in the Mag repair business, I am simply going to suggest that anyone that thinks Magneto repair costs are too high, should start doing their own.

Anyone can set up a pretty decent machine shop for 10 or 15 thousand dollars, it will only take a few years to gain what little experience it takes and instead of wasting time at shows running engines and visiting with friends, you can get out there in the field and look for them bargains, then sink all your excess cash into pieces that may set on a shelf for years before you find someone that needs it.

But Hey ! when that someone comes along, Boy! you can make $15 an hour for you time on it, minus the parts and the lights and heat and taxes and health care and aggravation.

Yeah, everyone is welcome to cash in, there's plenty for everybody.

C

Charlie Bryant

I have to add my 2 cents. I only got into collecting antique farm engines about 15 years ago.The last 25 years before retiring I was a Technical Redpresentative for Rockwell International on there twin engine business jet. I have seen the high cost of repairs on componets and those done by different garage type shops shops and the professionals so I realize the cost of equipment, skill and knowledge that it takes to do a proper repair and overhaul.I greatly respect and think the engine hobby is very fortunate to have so many professionals in all aspects of this hobby. Just to mention a few,Ted Brookover, Marks Magnito, Mitch Malcolm, John Rex, Bill Lopolus, Ed Deis, Branson Enterprises, Dan Morgan. My hats off to these guys (and none of them are millionaires). They are professionals.

B

Bob Johnson

Hi all. In my opinion you most of the time get what you pay for in this industry. I have tried the cheap way with a changeover for a magneto and bracket for my economy by a fellow in the midwest. Would do all necessary repairs to the webster magneto and furnish all parts for the changeover. Sent him what I had and a check. What came back was shoddly done and the ignitor trip arm was not even the right one. He finaly sent me the right one and after quite some time sending things back and forth along with a considerable phone bill I did get things to work. When I mentioned my disgut to him he had his wife condem me for having the ordasity to think her husbands quality of work was unsurpassed. In the end very expensive and frustrating. If I now need magneto work done I send it to one of the above mentioned repair persons and have been very satisfied with the quality of there work and their costs. Why should I expect one of these people to work for low wages when to get my car repaired at a dealer it costs $ 65 - 75 PER HOUR. If I can not afford the cost of getting it done right then check out the alternatives as our original owners did. There are some very inovative/ creativie working systems now running.

B

Brian Triebner

Getting back to the original question, "are there enough mags to go around" I would say a yes. If anything was saved from a scraped engine it was mag, oiler and maybe a brass carb if it came off easy. Look in your own shops, I have a dozen mags with no engines for them to go on and I suspect anyone who has been collecting for 10 years or more is in the same boat! Brian

B

bill schaller

yes, I know plenty of long time collectors that have them stacked up like cordwood, how about you guys stop hoarding them and let a few new collectors get a few.

E

Ed Kinch

Hi Again,

I too have more mags. than engines,but only because I buy junk mags. and rebuild them.

Ed Kinch

C

Chuck Parcher (KS)

TED: I think it was last week. You posted a picture of a restored mag, Can't remember the name, but it was far and away the nicest looking magneto I have ever seen. I know that doing a quality job takes time, and the proper parts and knowledge are as one has already stated "You get what you pay for." Unfortuatly there are guys out there that think they do, or try to do a good job, that simply can't measure up. There are things that I can do well and there are things that I know little or nothing about. Because I'm a good mechanic, does not mean that I could be a good magneto restorer. Therefore if I tried to fix one for someone else (Which I would'nt), there is no way that I could ask for very much compensation. To get a mag that looks like the one in your post to me would be worth what ever it cost. It's like anything else. There are people that do high quality work, and have all the skills and knowledge to do a first class professional job. Then there are others that just Mickey Mouse things around. The problem is: The shade tree magneto repair, or re-build guys that do the same quality of work on everything else they work on, (poor) are asking the same prices, and sometimes more as the PROS, (In the medical profession they would be called QUACKS). I had a guy in Pleasenton Ks. do a job on a mag. When I got it back, it was not any better than when it left. He did add some black paint though. That was before I knew about Smokstak. I think your field is unique, and the folks that want top quality work should seek out the PROS. You and the people that were listed have my vote of confidence. Keep up the good work, and realize that you'll never make all of the people happy all of the time. Are you sure your not a multi-millionare? If I want it done right, then I'm going to have a guy that can do it right work on it. CHUCK

R

Richard Weich

I am so new to this I don't even have a hit an miss engine yet. I do have several old tractors with mags on them. What is a good book on how to fix mags? Where do you get parts?

I did pick up a mag at an estate sale for $1.00. It doesn't work and when you spin it, it doesn't make that clicking noise. But I have no idea what it fits or what it's worth. Any one know what a Fairbanks Morse type F.M. Jh2B70 A fits? It has what appears to be a 45 degree bevel gear on it. Also it for a 1 cylinder engine.

How do you know which way a mag is supposed to turn?

R

Randy Hart

Ted, Cost is cost and to pay or not is everyones choice ! Everything costs more and so does liveing.. Sure it hurts to shell out a large sum for a needed repair or complete unit but that must be a factor we look at when we buy the engine.. The bright side to this whole thread is while the Mag people are being talked about, Us auctioneers are being left alone

Randy Hart Ohio

A

Andrew

I had a mag that was in a lot worse shape than that, it had set outside in the weather for years and the whole thing was locked solid. I was told I would never get it working, but after about a week I had replaced the points guide and alot of cleaning up, and a new condenser and it came back to life! I was able to use the original coils which at first glance you would think no way it will work!

http://www.netpluscom.com/~10730/proj.html

J

jd_mike

I recently had a dead Associated Pony mag rebuilt by Mark's Magneto. The majority of the expense was parts. The labor cost me something like $60 for what was a pretty intensive job. I certainly couldn't have done it myself for that. Ask Ted, I probably have $500 in labor in rebuilding the ignitor for my John Deere. Luckily he provided me tons of free advice and a sketch or I would still be fooling with it. I think we're just stuck remembering the good old days when you could buy an Autosparker for $25. My two cents--Mike

R

Randy Ackley

It appears that I've ruffled too many feathers & this was NOT my intention...especially not to Mr.Ted Brookover. I've been told that you do very fine work & are perhaps, one of the best in the business. I just had some trouble trying to figure out the cost of mag repair...not just from you, but from some others that I've been in contact with, too. If I've upset you or anybody else with my post, I certainly do apologize. I should have done more thinking, before I stuck my foot in my mouth.

J

John Hammink

Hi Charlie, knowing you as a fine and honest guy, I have to say that you hit the nail on the head. Remember the story of the type "R" mag that I was looking for two years back at my visit to the States and Portland of course. You attended me to ask Rick Rohrs for one and he brought one for me to the show. I went to Ted Brookover and asked him if he could fix it for me and he said yes, ten days later I met him at the Boonville, MO show and the mag was redone like new and for a reasonable price. Put the mag in my suitecase and saved the shipping costs. Lately I was searching for almost two years for a Dixie magneto and one of the Stationary Engine List members from Australia had one for sale, I bought it, cost me some money of course but you have to pay for quality and professional knowledge and the fact that I wanted one and had the oppertunity to buy it. I can't fix them myself so I'm happy with all the professionals. At the moment the Dixie is sailing half way Australia >> Netherlands. Look at the picture, what a beauty isn't.

Take care John H.

Ted Brookover

In Memory Of
Hi Randy, OK, lets start all over, I can't speak for any of the other Mag guys that have been listed here or the advertise on Harry's great Web site, but for myself, I figure at least 4 hours of labor on a low tension magneto and a little more on a high tension.

This covers total disassembly, complete cleaning, including bead blasting, careful inspection for wear and any needed repairs, refinishing to make it look like it did when new including the polishing of any brass parts, and complete re-assembly with a re-charge and test as the last step.

Any parts that are needed are of course additional as is any needed machine work.

On average, a Webster Tri-Polar that is in the usual non-functional condition will cost $80 if the armature needs turning and the bushings need replaced.

On the other hand if the same mag is a total basket case, and need coils, side plates, frame repair, a terminal cover, new springs, new spring rollers and a new name band, the total rises to about $210.00 !!!

I make the same $80 plus about 5% of the additional $130.

What we can all learn from this is very simple, quit buying engines with no mag or with a junk mag unless you get a substantial break on the price.

Also, if you think you are paying too much for the parts, buy them your selves, you can get them from the same sources that I use, and I will install them at the same labor rate that I get for any other work.

I know that it is frustrating when every thing for your hobby seems so expensive, but you have to remember that what is a hobby to you may be the way another guy puts food on the table.

This is a great hobby, and we are all suppose to be having fun, just think about how worse it would be if there was no one to help a guy with something that is beyond his ability to fix.

T

Tim Claremont

If you really think about it, if it wasn't "worth it" then they wouldn't be "charging it" (no pun intended...well, maybe a little).

The market has determined the price for magneto repair.

R

Randy Ackley

THANKS for the explanation, Ted! Now that I know, I can understand & live with it.

E

Ed Kinch

Hi Richard,

The Fairbanks magneto JH2B70 was made for the Kiekhaefer corp. for one and two cylinder Mercury engines.Special flange mounting,ccw rotation,no impulse coupling.

Ed Kinch

B

Bill Decker

I replaced the coils in an EK once. Took me about 2 or 3hrs. and I'm glad I had an extra one around cause I forgot what wires went where.

Status
Not open for further replies.