• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When registering, please provide your CITY and STATE as your location!

Are there enough magnetos to go around?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harry

Administrator
When I got the Witte (engine #1), it had the EK with it, but the front cover was missing and it was a mess. The capacitor was very leaky to the point of being shorted out. It was time to learn about how it worked and the Old-Engine Magneto Page was born.

Then came along the FMZ (engine #3) and its mag was long gone, replaced by a rigged up spark plug mounting and a kludge of a spark timer. After a long search, I found the Sumter mag and then the igniter at two different engine meets.

I think it was at that point that I decided to get only engines that were complete with the proper mag. Sad to say that some engines are worth less than the mag/igniter that's on them. I must admit that I've picked up some extra EKs as spares. You never know when you'll need one.

-- Harry

http://www.old-engine.com/magneto.htm

A

Adam Cottrill

You Want A DIXIE??? I want a FM R type

Hey lads,

Ive got a spare Dixie (working but orignal) here in Australia, im sort of thinking if anyone has a spare FM R type mag, base and gear to suit a FM ZD 1.5hp I could be willing to do a swap?

Kindest regards,

Adam

T

Tom Winland

I too try to keep extra mags around even if I don't have something for it to fit. I figure somewhere along the line I'll get an engine for it to fit.

Tom Winland Ohio

Status
Not open for further replies.