• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in all blanks. IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, GIVE YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

Associated Hired Man~ original finish???

David M. Lyon

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/12/2020
I've been cleaning the grease and crud off of this little Hired man all morning and I'm amazed at how much paint is still there!!!:eek: It LOOKS like the original finish, but it's hard to tell...I've never seen one with this much paint left after all this time...It was COVERED with grease, and I don't see any other paint beneath this coat...Whadaya' think?...Could this be the real deal???...If not, it must have been repainted a llooooooong time ago and then worked a lot to cake that much gunk on it.:shrug: There is very little wear on the belt pulley, it looks like someting was pulling off of the off side flywheel.

Attachments

Last edited:
S

Sky

It's very well possible. It might have been painted long ago but that wouldnt make much sence, i agree. To paint it, then work the hell out of it. And back then the old timers just worked the heck out of'em. The last thing they were concerned about is a "pretty engine".

I'd say you have a real deal. If not, a pretty darn good resemblance.

DavidRaines

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
10/26/2019
It appears to be a split hopper/cylinder. If so the cylinder from the factory would normally have been painted sliver. Are the governor springs painted? It would appear to me as a repaint but one never knows.
Dave

Babs8070

Registered
Last Subscription Date
09/30/2015
I dont think its original paint. Theres no pin stripping and the paint should be a darker color of red. But I could be wrong. Ive got one with original paint Ill try to get a picture of it. Its in a older post of mine on here with pictures. Regardless your engine looks like a nice one to have.

David M. Lyon

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/12/2020
The more I look, the more I believe it's a re-paint...Musta' been rebuilt ot "restored" years ago and repainted then. This paint is NOT the right flavor!:rolleyes: The engine is in good shape for the shape it's in, So i'll just give it a valve job and leave the finish "as is".:brows: Rings are good , bearings are good, and the mag is hot. BUT, I've noticed that there is no check valve in the gas tank...Ain't no way it would have run much like that.