• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in the blanks. - IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, ENTER YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

Atlas Engines from Indianapolis

Bill Prine

Registered
I am writing in search of information regarding the Atlas Gas Engine Co. of Indiana. I have located a 6 hp engine of this make. It is not a Kruger Atlas made in Texas, or atleast the tag does not state this. It says Atlas Engine Works, Indiananoplis USA. The engine number is 26872.
Can anyone provide me with the following information:
History on the company?
Approx. age of this engine?
How many of these Indiananoplis built engines exist? How rare are they?
Who might own one of these engines?
Any photos of these engines?
Any help would be most appreciated!

Dick Graybill

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/26/2020
Bill In "the Complete Guide To Stationary Gas Engines" By Mark Meincke. It Lists Atlas Diesel, No Date Available;atlas 1906-1912;king Bee 1906-1912. "the King Bee Was Fitted With A Vertical Flyball Gov.to Control Speed.an External Tank Was Used For Cooling."there Is A Photo But I Don't Think It Will Reproduce Very Well.hope This Helps A Little.dick

Gasengn

In Memory Of
Last Subscription Date
03/01/2009
I have three engines made by the Atlas Engines
Works of Indianapolis. I have a 4 HP horizontal "King Bee", a 2 HP vertical and a 2 HP vertical "King Bee". The King Bee and Atlas are the same except the King Bee has the fuel tank in the base, whereas, the Atlas has a remote fuel tank.

The history of these engines is hard to come by. The hand hole cover on one of my verticals has a January 1898 date on it. Originally there were three sizes of the vertical; namely 2, 3 & 5 HP. By 1907 the 5 HP was gone and a 4 HP horizontal was introduced to go along with the larger sizes. I have one piece of Atlas lkiterature dated 1907 and a magazine ad dated 1906.

My serial numbers are 27981, 29771 and 30191. Thearlier is before 1907 and the other two after.

I tried to research the history at Indy at libraries, etc, but you can't find much except a few steam engine catalogs.

I can dig up some pictures for you.

Alan New

Registered
Last Subscription Date
12/28/2009
Atlas Engine Works of Indianapolis, Ind. was a major builder of stationary steam engines. In the 1880's they built steam traction engines and portable steam farm engines. I have seen several later Atlas stationary steam engines and have a steam gauge from from either a portable or traction Atlas engine. The company started into the gas engine business before re-oganizing into Lyons Atlas Company around 1912. Lyons Atlas was, as far as i know, the only company to ever market a multiple cylinder Hvid patent diesel engine. The Hvid system of ignition did not lend itself well to mutiple cylinder engines. Most wrecked themselves due to their inherintly erratic ignition timing. Lyons Atlas went bankrupt and reorganized as Midwest Engine Company. Midwest Engines were very popular and were used in several models of Huber tractors, Bates Steel Mules, and other tractors and trucks in the 20's. I've not researched the later history of the company or what bacame of it. I need to do that since I live only 25 miles from the old plant.

Gasengn

In Memory Of
Last Subscription Date
03/01/2009
The Atlas Engine Works went into receivership in 1907. Just how long they continued in Indianapolis after that is unknown; however, by 1912 the assets had been moved to San Antonio, Texas and gas engines were being produced there. There are a few Atlas brand gas engines in Texas (not Kruger-Atlas). There quite a few Kruger Atlas in Texas.

You may go to Gas Engine Magazine and see my Atlas Engines in the February 2001 issue on pages 21 and 22. A friend of mine gave me a wooden box that has Atlas Engine Works, Indianapolis, USA stenciled on it.
I also have a large cast brass ID plaque from an Atlas steam engine.

Here are Atlas engines that I know of: The TX denotes located in Texas

27981 2 HP
29046 16 HP TX
29734 4 HP
29744 4 HP TX
29771 4 HP King Bee
30191 2 HP King Bee
30609 5 HP TX
31565 4 HP
31762 8 HP TX
31782 24 HP TX
There ia also an 8 HP King Bee out west.

Alan New

Registered
Last Subscription Date
12/28/2009
Been awile since I looked at my research on Atlas. Too many other irons in the fire. Anyway, I you have Windel's "Big Yellow Book", look on page 288 under "Lyons Atlas". If you happen to have Morrison's "American Diesel Engines" (1939), look on page 39 under Hvid Engines. The 2 references pretty much give an overview of the Atlas Engine Works, Lyons-Atlas, Midwest Engine Co. history.

Moe Dog

Registered
Bill I don't know if this message will get through if it does please reply I have information for you.