• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When registering, please provide your CITY and STATE as your location!

Auction: Bob Bailey's Estate (01-12-2019 HUGE!)

LCJudge

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/14/2019
Re: Tomorrow's Auction

Wow, looks like there are a lot of items at that sale. Is this an estate auction?

Combustor

Registered
Re: Tomorrow's Auction

Yes, Bob Bailey has been deceased for some years now, and his widow is finally dispersing his/their wonderful private museum collection, which I was priveleged to view when he was alive. Truly an amazing lot. Regards,
Combustor.

Firewoodguy

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
02/01/2019
Re: Tomorrow's Auction: Bob Bailey's Estate

such a beautiful collection. thank you for sharing.

E27N

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/06/2020

Was a good day out today caught up with the usual crowd... brought a few engines, blew a tire on the trailer on the way home and drove the last 140km at 80kmh on a dodgy spare..... got home and flaked out on the couch...

The M and the Famous are mine ( you really don’t want to know what I paid for these :O )
48036037-22B5-4204-8094-5417574E1B9C.jpg

And a TSH 4? Crossley semi diesel
7C3BF1E4-D519-439E-A0A6-2296CE307D91.jpg

LCJudge

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/14/2019

I don’t want anyone to divulge secrets but if any of the attendees to the sale could share some prices, especially on the US makes I’d appreciate it. I’d just like to see how prices are holding there in comparison to across the water.

Winchester

Registered
Glad the 300km trip was worthwhile for you Andrew......I thought the prices where very reasonable .Glad that big Ruston is staying in Albany. My little ''Axe in the engine '' went for $60.....lawn mowers,$5. I think the Blackstone was probably the highest priced. There were some gems amongst the very small engines .

Attachments

E27N

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/06/2020
Very much worth the trip Peter, Tiny Holly did an excellent job auctioneering as usual.

The big Blackstone has gone to a collector around Kellerberrin/ Trayning and I asked him to bring to Quarading show later in the year, so hopefully will have some video of it running in late 2019 along with the 3 I got.

Winchester

Registered
The buyer of the Ruston is going to mount it on a truck chassis. I'm putting my Pasley on a dedicated trailer...............if all is finished we might see you at your show.

RustyNumbat

Registered
Wish people would say where these things are happening, I could have popped over to check it out!

I could have made another greasyjohn guest video with e27N :(

Last edited:

JimDoyle

Registered

I don’t want anyone to divulge secrets but if any of the attendees to the sale could share some prices, especially on the US makes I’d appreciate it. I’d just like to see how prices are holding there in comparison to across the water.
Tommy you will be lucky to get most Australian collector to give you prices, sometimes I think they think they are breaking the official secrets act!

Cheers
Jim

Peter Holmander

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/23/2019
Now that is what I call a real Candy Store !! What a collection. And most look to be in excellent condition.

E27N

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/06/2020
Wish people would say where these things are happening, I could have popped over to check it out!

I could have made another greasyjohn guest video with e27N :(

I was feeling very camera shy on sat .......

Eric Schulz

Registered
Last Subscription Date
09/02/2009
If this was an open auction, where anyone could register and buy, the selling prices are not secret. If you have the contact details of the auctioneer, ask him for a printout of the sale prices. I have done this in the past.

Eric

Winchester

Registered
It was a well run auction , no GST or buyers premium every thing sold and Eric is quite correct re sourcing the prices . Also it was well advertised judging by the large number who were there.

Scotty 2

Registered
Hello all
I tip my hat to who-ever set up that auction. Nice organised rows with space between each lot and lots of space between each row. Well done. :salute:

I don't think Australians have troubles in telling what auction prices are. I'd say that lack of prices is because we just don't know. We don't tend to watch each lot been sold. For many (at least around our area) an auction is a social outing. We tend to have a yabber to people we haven't seen for a long time and just keep an eye out for the lot we're wanting.
Hands up all the Australians who have missed an item they wanted at an auction due to the flapping of gums. Pick me!!!! :eek:

We have a good auctioneer near us. We usually have a bit of a yarn beforehand as I tend to get there early and he knows what I'm interested in. At one auction I brought a Southern Cross GEC that I had no idea I brought until I went to pay (went to get a feed, someone started yabbering, didn't see it sell, thought I missed out). The auctioneer saw me waving the arm (I was really ordering a salad sambo and a drink or just pointing at something) and I was the only bidder. Well done. Funny thing was I was asking if it sold and somebody told me there was only one bidder and they thought it went really cheap. Bugger, bugger, bum, poo went through my mind:D. $400 was the price I paid.

I'm sure we all have an auction story.

Cheers Scott