Aultman Taylor 30-60 Fire. Can I save it?

jesters13

We had a devastating barn fire in our machine shed. Lost everything including our Aultman Taylor 30-60. Is there any way to save it at this point. I'm thinking since it's a pretty simple tractor that it may be possible. I attached a pic. More to come this pm

Attachments

Steve Kunz

Subscriber
Hopefully it can be saved! Any Idea how the fire started?
Losing everything in a fire is my biggest fear. I remember someone on here saying that a bunch of small buildings is better in case of fire so they all don't burn. Hope you can get it going again.

Tracy T

Subscriber
Been there 30 years ago, it sucks and that is a smell you can never forget! I would say its salvagable as long as it didnt get hot enough to take the temper out of the metal. I would check anything that is cast for cracks especially since the fire dept has been there with a big hose. with the fire we had the fire dept did more damage than the fire did but they did put it out.

My sympathies to you. That is a horrible scene, and everyone's worst fear.
Hard to know how hot things got and whether the heat got into the heart of the tractor. It will be a lot of hard work, but it is a valuable tractor and well worth trying to save it.
Place I worked 40 or more years back had a shop fire and there were a couple of tractors and a forklift in there. In that case, the heat from the burning tires did the most damage. We did rebuilt a tractor and the forklift. One little Massey 135 tractor was written off for parts because it took the brunt of the fire.
Best wishes to you. I hope you can make the old girl hum again.

jesters13

Everything else in the barn is a melted mess.. multiple John Deere Tractors (new to old). Bales, Dozer, 3pt attachments, spreader. Pretty much anything that was used to work the farm was in there. Lucky the second half of the barn where alot of the rare antique Tractors were didn't catch fire But are covered in ash and water now.. a very very expensive nightmare.

uglyblue66

Subscriber
I would say it is salvagable.No hot rubber burning,oil and grease maby.Just take a deep breath and get it out in the open and pressure wash it and see what it looks like.Check babbit bearings and such.Some soft brass and copper may be damaged.
Dealing with insurance will be a much tougher battle than the tractor. It may be 2 to 4 years before you will be able to do anything.

Jeff Blaney

Subscriber
I don't want to be nosy, but were these tractors insured? The time it will take to bring the tractor back to life is one thing, but if funds are available that will certainly help with your problems.
If you're going to fix it, I say make it better than it was before the fire.

FWurth

One Millionth Post
My sympathies, makes one cry at the thought. That said, I do believe that those 2 are very restorable. The fenders and canopy frame are mostly intact so likely the big castings and frame are save able. will need to completely go through it and repair what needs to be. If there is still oil inside the casings will tell a lot. Those rear wheels look to be ok, in most really hot fires those wheels will warp or collapse under the weight when too hot. One thing for sure do work now to prevent further deterioration. Spray it down with oil or something to prevent rust. A burned casting will super corrode in no time at all in the weather if not treated first off. Then start scrounging for needed parts such as the lubricators and radiator. Might be able to simply re solder the radiator tubes if it isn't too out of shape. If you don't want to redo it I'm sure there are many of us out here that would love to try and save it, me included! Good luck.

David Hoover

Subscriber
Looks like the grease is steel on the frick flywheel and the 30-60 wheel hub. Like Mr Wurth says, pour something on it before it rusts solid. Good luck. Your going to need lots of help with that mess

Russ Hamm

Subscriber
That's just terrible, I have worried about that over the years as my sheds that are wired were built in the 20's and have the insulator and wire system still. I shut the breaker off every day but that still doesn't mean something could happen.
Someone had this pic on facebook, notice how the frame tubes sagged.
Sorry to see these, hopefully everything will work out.

Attachments

jesters13

I appreciate all the help and info so far..I will get better pics for everyone later tonight... were still taking it all in.
Only had insurance on the structure not the contents. All the construction equipment is toast as well.. Fire marshall says a skid steer started the blaze. And it took one tractor out at a time till the blaze was big enough to be seen from the road. By that time everything was fully engulfed.

FWurth

One Millionth Post
Hind sight is a poor comfort, can't kick your self for what if's. Most of us cannot afford to have insurance for every possible loss, you'd go broke just paying the premiums. Had a long deceased friend that was in the dairy farming business. He had a similar loss, his new Deere crawler loader started the fire. The electrical system shorted out and actually started the motor after it set the shed on fire. It almost walked itself out but the blade got caught on the concrete floor and kept turning the track till the fire consumed it. A fellow just has to suck it up and forge on! Best of luck for your recovery from this loss.

David Hoover

Subscriber
Damn! So how are you and your family? Is there someone close who can help you with the old stuff while you deal with everything else?

halcon

So sad! That A&T can be saved. More damage can be done by bad decisions now. Try keep it dry. if you could arainge storage that would be great. Clean it off with compressed air. Don't Wash it that would force water into every nook and cranny. It will need a frame up restoration. The same thing happened here in sask about 30 years ago to a30-60 A&T the owner had restored it originally and he wen't a head and restored it again, and he wasn't a young man but he had it running like a clock. He told me he could have saved the radiator if not for buggering around with the insurance caused it to sit out in the weather. he had to rebabbit it completely. Get the corrosion stopped.

Last edited:

Tim Colwell

Subscriber
I'm so sorry about this. I agree that the AT and that Steamer could both be restored. I have heard of several other prarie tractors and steam engines restored after fires. As others pointed out you can still see the grease in some areas. That was one of the first things I noticed.