Aultman Taylor 30-60 Fire. Can I save it?

jesters13

So the babit has melted out of the races where ever it has been poured. Inside of the engine is a little oil left inside of crankcase, babbit all melted from mains. But all looks intact inside. (Wonder if there's any way to test The hardness of The crankshaft) The bottom of the engine still had grease on it. and the vales are free. The tractor is going to need completely tore down and built peice by peice. We will probably search for some one to do the engine work. Its beyond what I can do since i never messed with babit in a engine yet.. The frame is not warped and all the gears are in tact. It's just going to take years and lots of $$$$$ to get it going again.

Attachments

halcon

Those crankshafts were not hardened in that day, so that is not a worry. but it will need to be checked for straightness, and it can be staightend. As the babbiting and alignboreing is the most expensive of the engine work, it is always a good idea to true up the crankshaft journals (regrind) being that it is nearly impossible to get a good fit when using a worn or tapered and out of round shaft. Preservation is the order of the day right now.

Craig A

Can you see any signs of melted Babbitt or solder anywhere?
If not it's probably in better shape than you might think.

In any event..…...my sympathy...…. :(

Duey C

Subscriber
I’d have to think that was awfully hard to get back up on the platform but you did it and that is looking forward.
I question if I could right yet. Yeah I would have to also.
I think you see the light at the other end of the tunnel already. Loss, inspect, conserve and then...
Sir, you have a helluva lot yet to work with and that’s good.
Even the fenders do not look badly heat-sagged to these eyes.
On another thought about the oiler. Sometimes, if there is a bunch of pot metal (Zamak) in the working parts, they may have gotten too hot or in a strange case benefited from the heat to drive out moisture, the killer of Zamak.
I do look for the positives as I must.
So much to agree with here as far as preservation until resurrection. I wonder if a garden sprayer could spray light oil on your 30-60 and your steam engine until repairs. Blow the ash off with air then oil every place you can think of, inside and out.
I do hope you show us the repair process along the way.
The very best wishes and anxious to see the 30-60 Aultman-Taylor Phoenix.

Rob Charles

Subscriber
Sorry for your loss. Look over the fw. I restored a gas engine that had been thru a fire. One side had the Babbitt melted out and the other was okay. The fw on the fire side had cracked spokes from expansion. Still looks very fixable to me. Rob

Sunnybrook

Subscriber
My wife said some words to me this morning; "Character is always revealed in crisis" and I thought of you and this situation.
You give good example of how to handle this crisis and immediately seek a solution.
This may end up being the nicest restored AT around.

Craig A

Can you see any signs of melted Babbitt or solder anywhere?
If not it's probably in better shape than you might think.

In any event..…...my sympathy...…. :(
I KNOW I edited that ^ after I read your response about the melted Babbitt and whatnot after I had posted my response...…. :bonk:

At any rate it seems you lucked out though you may not feel that way...….yet.
Things would be much easier if the Babbitts had melted on one side only but it is what it is.
Find yourself a good Babbitt man.
The wheel doesn't have to be reinvented to get it going again...…. ;)