• If you like what you see here and your interests are compatible with our 30,000 other users, Welcome. Fill out the registration form with your interests, your real name (seen only by moderators) and your city, state or country. Be certain that you have spelled your email address correctly! Your account is then manually checked and approved.

Austin Freeway called Pat.

asw20

Registered
Cobba, I would be surprised a HX / LX, or later wheel could even be repaired. They are made of this rubberised plastic stuff. I hate it; it goes gooey / slimy in damp weather. Sorry to hear that happened to you.
Up to the previous models they were still made of painted bakelite (?). Something rock hard, anyway and not at all like 70's Falcons which were some type of hard plastic.

Jarrod.

never had that trouble with a gts steering wheel on a hj, i think its more a type of plastic than rubber. I found a good one never had a issue with it.
sure would be hard to find now, along with any part in the gts line.
There are repos but they are a harder plastic, so you can tell its not original.

cobbadog

Registered
Yes the steering wheel is a type of soft plastic but not as spongy as a late model steering wheel. It was important that before it was initially sent to Melbourne that the wheel had no splits in the grip area. Oddly enough when I looked at the web site they show all the success stories and tried to show one that did have a split in it and then a pic of it after the repair. This should have rang alarm bells as he said he cannot fix splits. Anyway the job is done just no where to the standard of the rest of the car which has been a total nut n bolt rebuild with all brand new parts everywhere and numbers matching engine and gearbox as Brian got the build sheet sent to him very early on in the build. The only thing that is not bog standard and original is the new camshaft in the 4.2 ltr engine. They are no longer available but the cam that ended going in will not be detected in any way only a very slight different grind.

won't be getting any more build sheets......holden is kaput
i suppose you can have a look around in case someone has written one off or if someone has one stashed.
There is a place called hol parts in thomastown and there are others around as well.

Scotty 2

Registered
There are ads in "Restored Cars" magazine for steering wheel repairers, but failing that, I have restored a couple with big cracks successfully with Araldite, filing it back after hardening to the right profile, then painting it. A lot of work, but a good result.
Ian
That's what I was planning to do but it would take a fair bit of time. At the moment the steering wheel is held together with insulation tape. I was planning on using a product called MegaPoxy. You can do anything to it, even tap it. It also sticks to anything like poop to a blanket. I also found out it is very heat resistant. I used it to make a prototype jighead mould once and it didn't blink at getting molten lead poured in more then a few times. It's expensive but really, really good. The plan was do a pretty good rough build with MegaPoxy and do the final 'profiling' with good old bog and then paint.

Cobba, the wheels came from Pete at Goodna. So who the hell is Pete from Goodna you say? Dunno. He just had a set of 4x114.3 stud patterned wheels off an 80's Celica. It's funny a lot of wheels off rear wheel drive Japanese cars like the Celica's and Mazdas etc of the 80's will fit a lots of Pommy, a few American or very few Australian cars from the 60's. I found that out while researching other stuff for Pat.

Geoff. Thanks for the effort you've put in. I'll have to do some research on the tail lights to see if they fit. They are the ones used on the Wolseley as they have that chrome bit on the bottom of the light. It seems as though these lights are a lot easier to find. They're everywhere in Pommyland. I do have the top 2 sections of those lenses in the shed. They came from my Pop's gear. Only the reflector section is missing. Why would Austin put a 'special' tail light only in the Freeway's when they already had tail lights that fitted the body?
Cobba: The tail light may look similar to the 'Landcrab's and MG's but are very different.

I got to remember where it was I found a brake kit for Pat on the interwebby and order the brakes.
I have been looking for an oil filter for Pat. Z 23. Forget it. Unavailable for donkey's years. I did find how to make an adapter so a Z9 can be used. Bloody Z9. Why couldn't it be a Z30? There's a box of them buggers in the shed. Z9. Bloody hell.
http://www.leylandaustralia.com.au/index_htm_files/Z23 to Z9 Conversion Instructions.pdf

Cheers Scott
PS: I didn't know the GTS wheels were so hard to find. I gave one away a couple of years ago. It was in great condition. My mate has a couple of NOS GTS steering wheels in his shed. He bought them years ago when they were made obsolete in the spare parts of the local Holden dealer. He got a few GTS mirrors then as well. All still in boxes.
He's just finished his granpa spec car. A 1974 Premier with bench seat. Original black interior with purple body with white roof (with sun visor), 253 with column auto. No power steer or A/C.

Last edited:

cobbadog

Registered
won't be getting any more build sheets......holden is kaput
i suppose you can have a look around in case someone has written one off or if someone has one stashed.
There is a place called hol parts in thomastown and there are others around as well.
Hi Alastair,
Brian bought the build sheets years ago and is in safe keeping and will be copied for when the car is finished and displayed at shows.

cobbadog

Registered
A lot of Jap cars were based around Pommy stuff, Toyota = Austin in the engine department from memory. Only the Japs refined them, a lot.

muzzery

Registered
Scotty
I remember watching a Wolseley go past the house when I was a little kid about 1980. I was always impressed with the light up grill badge.
as far as the radio is concerned, there are plenty of people who could make it go again. (My chev c20 had no radio so I bought a 75 corvette am fm set and repaired it) new capacitors and its awesome. I can even fit a hands free Bluetooth function for around 200 big ones.
And as far as the steering wheel goes, I love the wheel restorations done by pearl craft. Pity theyre exxy- I think about 700 bucks to do the Chevy wheel. Maybe oneday....

Scotty 2

Registered
Scotty
I remember watching a Wolseley go past the house when I was a little kid about 1980. I was always impressed with the light up grill badge.
I reckon a few Wolseley's were bought because of that badge. A common modification was to make that badge light up when-ever the car was running instead of only when the lights were turned on.
I remember an old client of mine (she was in her 70's in the 90's) was telling me about an old motorcycle her family had on their farm when she was a little girl. She reckoned she'll never forget it. It had an Indian's head on the front mudguard that lit up. She reckoned it would still be leaning against the shed post on her families farm. It wasn't. The scrappy got it and a lot of other stuff in the late 80's.

I wouldn't try and get any Holden bits off my old mate Alastair. It would be a waste of time. There's 3 Monaro's and an SS next to the Granpa spec Premier. He was going to break out a couple of GTS mirrors to put on the 2 door when it was done up. I couldn't see the boxes been opened so I gave him a couple of second handy genuine GTS mirrors I had in the shed.