• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in all blanks. IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, GIVE YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

Austin Road Roller

Rick McKay

Registered
Last Subscription Date
04/28/2015
I found this picture of an old Austin Roller that our township had way back in the teens or early 20's. I wish there were some of the old folks left that would remember this machine, but everyone that lived here during that time are gone now. I don't think this is a steam roller, but I thought I'd post it here anyway, as someone might now something about it. I would be curious to see what's behind those side curtains.

Enjoy,

Rick

Attachments

Tanner Remillard

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
02/05/2020
Re: Austin Roller

Not a steam roller. Its a gas engine. I had a picture of a friends Austin, but seems its not on my computer anymore:shrug:

slug

Registered

I have some pic of one at brooks OR. My son has a pic of one like it beeing used on the merryhill loops her in Washington. I will see if I can get irt scanned in am. John

John Davidson

eMail NOT Working
Last Subscription Date
11/25/2019

It is not steam, but as we are talking Austin Road Rollers, here are a couple pictures from my collection.

Some one got their barn painted for free for having all that advertising on it. These pictures were taken in Eau Claire Co., WI

Attachments

Ken Majeski

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/10/2019

Nice Road Rollers Guys.... Probably the worlds First Vibrating Compactor when you got that engine up to Speed. :) I never have seen one like that at any shows around here...

Keven Withers

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
02/14/2020

There is a really nice one at Rough & Tumble. There should be pictures on there website. Keven :)

Gasengn

In Memory Of
Last Subscription Date
03/01/2009

What brand of engine do these things use? The flyheels on Stettler's look different than the others.

Last Subscription Date
12/10/2019

Gasengn,

The Austin company used there own engines like you see on mine and the one at R & T. The one that Buzzy owns used a two cylinder opposed engine that we believe was made by Heer. There is one at the Heidrick Museum in Woodland, CA that also has the two cylinder opposed engine like Buzz's.

John Davidson

eMail NOT Working
Last Subscription Date
11/25/2019

Nice topic going here. I hope the steam guys don't mind. I have a question, The first picture of the covered up Austin and the one I posted show rollers with out a stack. The survivors all have stacks. On my picture, there is no place or opening where one could have been. Any comments?

Last Subscription Date
12/10/2019

Greetings John,

It is my understanding that the early ones used the stack.....kind of a carry over from the steam rollers of the time. On the later ones they had done away with the stack. My roller is circa 1908.

Rick McKay

Registered
Last Subscription Date
04/28/2015
Thanks for all of the responses to this thread!! Nice pic's, guys! Maybe someone out there could use my pic for a pattern of how the side curtains should look. If anyone wants the full size file from the scan of the original, send me a pm with your email address, and I'll email the file over.

Rick

Bud Tierney

Registered
Don't have anything on horizontal engine stuff (vertical 4cyl up are my thing), but I think was a Frederick C Austin company:
F C Austin Manufacturing Co, F C Austin Drainage & Excavating Co, and F C Austin Co, Chicago, builders of all kinds of road etc const eqpmt (a 1911 and 1918 ad on EBay) (sorry, don't know how to link). The 1911 crawler dragline ad says available in "steam or gas", and mentions "multipedal",
apparently a system whereby could be converted from crawler to wheeled to railroad mounts.
Built a line of crawlers (Beginning 1917 or so?), some with "mutipedal", using Buffalo, Chief and Automatic engines from 4x5 4cyl's to 71/2x9 6cyls.
FC reportedly sold out in 1920, the new company being F C Austin Machinery Co, which quit "tractor" business and concentrated on road const eqpmt (per tractor books).
I would assume later became Austin-Western. Sounds like fascinating subject, but couldn't find company history (just realised I didn't Google Austin-Western!!).

D

Digger

:shout:They all look COOL to me would like to see one turn up at our show some day.:wave: