• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in all blanks. IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, GIVE YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

Austin Road Roller

Jim Conte

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
07/17/2018
The Austin roller at Rough and Tumble is owned and operated by Clyde Burkholder, who is pictured in the Parade of Power a few postings above.

John Davidson

eMail NOT Working
Last Subscription Date
11/25/2019
The catalog I had said the Austin Road Roller came in 5 sizes. 7 ton, 8 ton, 10 ton, 12 ton and 15 ton.

Last Subscription Date
12/10/2019
SLUG

Thanks for posting the picture. This could be the one that I have know as mine came from Harry Schuarm's scrap yard in the Dalles, along with other parts from one in Montana.

Last Subscription Date
12/10/2019
Tanner,

It is my understanding that the fellow that told me about the large Corliss steam engine has bought the one that was in Baker City.

dlauner

Registered
Hello,
This message is for Rick McCay. I'm new to this site and am hoping it's ok for me to ask if it's possible to get a copy of the photo you posted (Austin Road Roller). I work for a paving company and we are exhibiting in a trade show very soon that has a 1920's theme. We thought it would be fun to display that photo as it fits the theme, and of course the services we provide as a paving company. Please let me know - and if I'm out of line by asking, I apologize. Thank you!

Brad Kelley

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
I just brought home this Austin roller that I found here in Virginia. I believe it's a 10-ton size. It seems to be in OK shape, drivetrain and wheels are all there, missing some small parts... and missing the original engine unfortunately. Someone cobbled together a Chevrolet inline 6 cylinder, transmission, and truck rear end to drive the main gear. I'm hoping to find a suitable engine for it, and a friend suggested a 25hp Superior may be a good candidate. Here are some pics.

Attachments

Brad Kelley

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
Nathan, pretty certain mine is the single cylinder model. I've seen pictures of that 4 cylinder roller and there are a number of differences between it and mine.
I'm not convinced that 4 cylinder roller is a factory model. The cooling tank looks nowhere near adequate, and the exhaust through the roof seems odd on a smokestack roller. I've seen catalog images of late model single cylinder rollers with the smokestack omitted.

Attachments