• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in all blanks. IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, GIVE YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

Automatic roll pin punch

Doug Kimball

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/10/2019
Dwayne,
Try a Google search for " spring operated center punch". Should find plenty.

OTTO-Sawyer

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/15/2019
Make Your Own by modifying the tips on a couple/few Spring-Loaded Center Punches, for whatever size roll-pins you're dealing with.

Not the Greatest Video, but the only one I found on a Quick Search.

You can probably jump ahead to around the middle of the video and skip past a lot of his fumbling around.

:salute:

Pete Spaco

Registered
Wouldn't it depend a LOT on the size of the roll pin?
I can't imagine such a (spring loaded?) punch pushing out a roll pin in one "click".
In my limited experience with roll pin removal, the big deal is to get the pin moving initially and that usually takes a fair amount of effort.

Pete Stanaitis
---------------

grub54891

Registered
Last Subscription Date
06/08/2010
In a spot where it's hard to hold the pin, I use my regular pin punches, I take a piece of small hose like vaccume hose from the parts store. I cut a small piece long enough to fit the punch and pin. Now the pin is retained to the punch with the hose, line it up and tap it in.
Removal isn't hard I just drive them out with the punch.

slip knot

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/27/2019
I bought a set of roll pin punches a while back. Never knew they existed until then. They work fairly well. But they weren’t the auto variety.

Dwayne Oxford

Registered
Sure not expecting 1 click knockout, just be REAL handy for small stuff. Be able to hold piece with one hand and peck out instead of worrying with getting into vice and possibly damaging. Recon the greatest country ain't got any.
Told friend with CNC it might be worth considering. Sadly, the patent system is set up for/by mega corps and low life lawyers and regular folks with great/new ideas just don't bother.

slip knot

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/27/2019
https://www.amazon.com/Wheeler-1101...495019&sprefix=roll+pin+punch,aps,769&sr=8-15

Cobbadog, This is the link to the set I bought. The starter punches are hollow and hold the pin while you start it. The drive punches have a half round ball on the end to set in the roll pin end and not slip off. These things work really well. I'm a bit ham handed and had trouble with the straight punch's gouging the work when trying to drive pins. this set makes it much easier.

JoeCB

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
03/19/2020
OTTO , that's a good idea however be careful that the shoulder that contacts the pin is square and not tapered ..else you flair out the roll pin when you drive it .

Joe B