• The old site search from Google needs to be updated. Use the Search at the Upper Right, or use What's New in the center - it has a drop down arrow. You will need to change your Favorits by right click mouse and clicking favorites. Many of the posts in How to Use This Web Site are old so the links may or may not work. I have one hell of a lot of work to do!

B&S Mod. 196706, Type 0156 01, code 0002141A crankshaft swap

Dwayne Oxford

Got on Snapper from elder friend, RIP, who said was running fine but went knocking, so he parked.
Not tore down but assuming(yeah, we know) balancer as he mowed fairly steep slope.
Got a usable crank from 190702 ??? which someone obliterated rest of numbers for ???
Will it work?

gdstew

The crankshaft for the 190702 engine does not have the cams for the balance unit. Both engines use the same connecting rod, so OK there. You would need to check the length of the pto end ( 1" x 3 5/8" ) with a square keyway. Not sure about the flywheel end so you might have to do some swapping if using a recoil starter. Also, need to check top and bottom bearing sizes. I never did this, just trying to visualize what might be involved.

2nd idea---If it is the bearing the went out of the balance weight, just leave the whole thing out????

gdstew

We ran 8hp for many years without balancers, wonder why not now???? Back in the day of the 8hp Snapper, 190702-1143 and 190707-1144, B & S installed a balanced crankshaft in those engines. I could not see the difference, but B & S said they were actually run through a second stage and were a better balance.

Dwayne Oxford

To me the balance deal was just more gizmology without proper lubrication. What difference it makes is, to me, negligible.
Was hoping somebody'd tried the swap.

DTurner

Briggs site say they used 3 cranks depending on date code .
396876 ? For early motors , you can check the site out , if this helps