• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, give complete answers and fill in all blanks. IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS. GIVE YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! We get hundreds of applications, so there is no time to deal with missing information.

B&S Model 8 Reduction Gear Assembly

cjcampo61

Registered
Does anyone know if there is a reduction gear box that will fit my Briggs Model 8? I would like to use this engine to drive an ice cream maker. I saw a 6:1 reduction gear on a larger Briggs engine, I'm sure that would not fit onto my Model 8.

CC

Bill Sherlock

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/09/2019
I have a vintage Briggs & Stratton parts list for the model 8 which shows a 6:1 gear reduction.

The parts list covers models 8, 8FB, 8RD4 & 8R6. I expect the 8R6 is the model with the reduction you're looking for.

Bill

I like oldstuff

Registered
Last Subscription Date
11/09/2015
Besides the reducer you'll need the stubby crankshaft with the gear on the output side.
It might be easier to find a complete 6:1 or 8:1 engine.

K-Tron

Registered
I have a model 8R6 on my Eclipse reel mower. The R6 engines use a special short crankshaft that has slits in the end of it to act as the drive gear. The driven gear would then to 1/6th the speed of the crankshaft. There are not a whole lot of 8R6's out there. I have been looking for a spare crank for my 8R6 for a long time. You may have better luck finding a 14R6 to do the job.

Chris

John Newman Jr.

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/10/2019
I have the remains of an old Toro reel mower with an 8R6 on it. All I have is the wheel drive components - No mower reel parts. Hung onto it all these years because the axle has a working differential hub in the chain sprocket. Had visions of making a butt-buggy out of it.
Briggs are not the only reduction gear engines out there. I have Lausons, Continentals and a couple of Uebelhoer Bros engines with them.
If you have a Briggs Model 8 that does not have the gearbox and the correct crankshaft, you will be better off finding a complete engine that already has the reduction drive.

EvilDr235

Registered
Mustie1 on YouTube just put out 3 videos on a Briggs gear reduction engine that I believe is a 8R6 model. Mustie 1 never figured out what engine he was working on, but because of the blower housing shape and the type of rope cup starter I believe it Is a model 8R6. It does not look like any type of model 6 or model 9 after comparing it to models I have.

gdstew

Registered
besides the crankshaft, you will also need a different side cover. Like stated above, maybe look for a complete engine.

Ogrebeast64

Registered
Mustie1 on YouTube just put out 3 videos on a Briggs gear reduction engine that I believe is a 8R6 model. Mustie 1 never figured out what engine he was working on, but because of the blower housing shape and the type of rope cup starter I believe it Is a model 8R6. It does not look like any type of model 6 or model 9 after comparing it to models I have.
I also believe it is an 8R6 as well. I asked him if he measured the bore or not. I have a standard Model 8 from 1951 here, and it has a 2-1/4 inch bore. If it were a 2 inch bore, I would say it's either an NR6 or a 6R model.

Attachments