Back to the Western Electric

Mike Schweikert

Subscriber
So a little more progress. A NEW gas tank for it and NEW pipes for the control board. I did try hand rewinding the resistance tube for the charging circuit and its just not going well. I imagine if I made up a winder and fixture, it could be done, but its not worth the hassle right now.

Soooo I looked into wirewound resistor tube to replace it. It is two section originally, (two separate resistance pieces on one tube with wires to different sections). Now the reason for that was the smaller ohm winding would be for normal battery charging, and the larger one was for overcharge mode, when the lever was flipped over. I am never going to use that, so am sticking to just one resistor for the normal charging mode. There is no specifications at all in the book on the ohms. In a prior post I counted the turns and measured the ohms in one turn of wire. I am getting about 3 ohms per turn, and its 12-13 turns. Its about 50 ohm. I got a 50 ohm 100 watt sliding tapped resistor to use. My question is at 40 volts max, it will allow .8 amps at 32 watts. Does that mean that the total output despite the amp meter on the board, will only charge the bank at .8 amps? At 32 volts the charge rate I think would be .6 amps.

Thank you!

MIke

Attachments

Vanman

Subscriber
Without completely dissecting the schematic, I believe that resistor only passes shunt field current, not the battery charging current itself, so shouldn't have much current flow through it.

Mike Schweikert

Subscriber
I don't get what they were trying to do. Regulate the field to keep output steady, or to keep the charging relay from bouncing off and on from voltage sags or spikes??