• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When registering, please provide your CITY and STATE as your location!

Baker Monitor VJ cam follower help

Scooter6

Registered
Good evening,
I am wanting to restore a Monitor VJ I have had for some time and realize I do not have a cam follower for it. I have seen a couple of types in pictures and do not know which is correct for my engine. I do not know what size the engine is, but the piston is 3 1/2".
I have attached an image of the engine. The fuel tank did not come with the engine, so I do not know the correct serial number.
I have the detent latch even though you cannot see it in the picture.
Any help identifying the correct cam follower and perhaps if someone has one to sell will be much appreciated. It is okay if it needs repairs.
Thank you,
Scooter

Attachments

Chuck H in Wi

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/26/2019
Serial number is on the front of water hopper in that small square. The cam follower, I have a extra one that I had casted but it needs a roller and the detent catch.

Joel Mosley

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
11/16/2019
Your engine is a 1 1/4 HP model VJ. Post a want ad in enginads and you should be able to locate one.

Scooter6

Registered
Thank you for the replies.
I am interested in a picture and price of the cam follower part you have if you wish to let me know.
However, I do want to post an ad in the engineads to see what original part may be available before I agree to a reproduction part.
I will let you know what I find as quickly as possible.
Thank you,
Scooter

Scooter6

Registered
Good afternoon,
I got the cam follower from Chuck and it looks great. I have a new problem. I started going through my parts to put it together and found the piston and rod that cam with the pile are not for a Monitor, they are for some type of horizontal engine. The person that sold me the engine basket case may have told me that, but it was over 20 years ago.
I will place a new want ad for them.
Thank you for the help.
Scooter

Scooter6

Registered
Re: Baker Monitor VJ restoration

Good morning,
I was lucky to have someone sell me a nice piston and rod assembly.
I got the crank, rod and piston fitted this weekend. I have ground the intake seat and valve, but have to machine a new seat in the exhaust cage, it is a gonner. I still have a lot of work to do but may finish before winter.
I still need to figure out how to time it, my timing gears are too rusty to find mark but I did find the ones on the flywheel.
Information on that will be much appreciated.
Thank you,
Scooter

Dale Russell

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
08/29/2019
Scooter, I have Info somewhere a copy of the original Info that came with the VJ if that would help you. I can't remember if it has the Info on timing or not. I will look and see if I can find it. I could send it to you since I sold my VJ a while years ago.

Scooter6

Registered
Thanks for offering to send that to me. I will check out the stuff on Facebook as soon as I can. My home internet is out right now and I cant access it from work.
Thanks,
Scooter

Dale Russell

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
08/29/2019
Scooter, I have found the Info on the Baker Monitor Engine in my file cabinet. If you would like a copy, send me your address & I will get it in the mail to you. If anyone else needs a copy just let me know with your address. This is kinda like a Manual & Trouble Shooting for the 1 1/4 HP VJ Baker Monitor Engine.
3 words at the top, "TACK THIS UP" . DIRECTIONS FOR OPERATING MONITOR ! ! 1/4, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8 H P.

This is the Info you would of received with a new Engine.

Dale Russell SASE (please)
704 Church St.
Neodesha, Ks. 66757

Scooter6

Registered
Good afternoon Dale,
Thank you for the reply, but I found an explanation of what I need earlier. I appreciate your willingness to send that out.
Thanks,
Scooter

Scooter6

Registered
Re: Baker Monitor VJ is alive

I finally finished up the VJ this weekend and it fired right up. It starts easily and can just flip the flywheel. I wish my Cushman started that easy.
Thank you all for the help.
Scooter