• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, give complete answers and fill in all blanks. IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS. GIVE YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! We get hundreds of applications, so there is no time to deal with missing information.

BARABOO show WISC. 2004

C

Craig Anderson

Was at the Badger Steam & Gas show at Baraboo, WI, today. BEAUTIFUL weather and a great crowd. Gonna post a couple pics. This one is frequent Harry's visitor John Davidson of Bristol, WI. Like a dumby I didn't WRITE DOWN the name of this 1920's vintage ELECTRIC "go cart". At any rate is uses a 12V battery and is a real attention getter. Well, JOHN is an attention getter!!! He has a knack for finding neat, odd, stuff and having FUN with it!!!

M

Mac Leod

Re: BARABOO show WISC.

Craig, is it powered by a starter moter off of a car, I have heard about people making ones in the early 30's with a batery and starter moter.

Thanks

Mac Leod

C

Craig Anderson

Re: BARABOO show WISC.

This is a factory built unit. It DOES use a BIG OLD starter though.

J

John Davidson

Auto-Red-Bug

Just got home from Baraboo and saw the picture of my Auto-Red-Bug that Craig took. Thanks Craig. The Bug was made in North Bergen,New Jersey about 1926. It uses a 12 motor that is exactly like the starter-generators that were on the Dodge cars from 1918 to 1925. The first of these "buckboard" type vehicles was made by A O Smith about 1915 and used the Smith motor wheel as a pusher. Then about 1918-20, Briggs and Straton made them as the Flyer with a pusher motor wheel (these were the first engines that B & S ever made}. The Auto-Red-Bug is the third version of this type of vehicle, all using 6 wood "slats" as the frame and suspension, It drives on the right wheel and brakes on the left wheel. The wheeels are 20" clincher wjeels and take special tires that a fellow had 100 made in Asia 20 years ago at $49.50 each. Its a fun thing and goes about 6- 8 MPH. Thats my "Butt bugey" when I get older. (I'M 72 now)

C

Craig Anderson

Re: Auto-Red-Bug

I KNEW John would check in with "the REST of the story" 'cause he knew the pics would be here. As far as getting older goes I think he's in a time warp----just stays the same!!!! :) Craig