• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in all blanks. IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, GIVE YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

Baraboo Steam and Gas Show 2018

EmersonFan

Registered
Last Subscription Date
04/02/2018
I've been meaning to go to this show for several years; made it yesterday. What a nice show! Lots to see, no matter what yoiur specific preference is. (That is, if it's old and metal or wood and has wheels - and might have been used on a farm)
I'll try to share a few pictures here.

Nothing like starting out with a corn sheller.
We have a dozen or so of these; struggling with identifying them and scraping some of the rust off - then MAYBE we'll put some paint on them.

The story of the Delco Light display trailer was fascinating to me, for many reasons.
one - it captures a specific company and a particular technology and how they impacted our nation.
two - they have this trailer outfitted as a rolling museum; I've been seriously considering doing that for some artifacts at PAMA - but there are a lot of open questions about how to do it or even if we should. . . But these people have done a really nice job and I feel like I got some ideas from them.

Cool old Farmall on steel. Nice little flywheel engine. I love that these engines were so similar, but there were SO MANY manufacturers; and everyone wanted to come up with a unique color scheme. . . and the exact clockwork-type mechanisms they use to govern them are like snowflakes in that there is almost no two alike. . .

So far the prettiest one I've ever seen, though, was almost certainly NOT the original colors.
It was at Sycamore a week or so ago, and it was a E - B engine that had been painted in some cool bronze color. It was a beauty.

Attachments

Last edited:

EmersonFan

Registered
Last Subscription Date
04/02/2018
Re: Baraboo Steam and Gas Show

more eye candy from Baraboo

I could spend all day in the Fuller Johnson Bldg and the Fuller Johnson annex alone.
They have a transplanter here, just like one at PAMA - but ours needs a little TLC to make it look like this,.
It might be the exact same model - or really close.

The Fuller-Johnson planter is also a work of art.
I suspect they did a little homework to get the colors right and evertying.
We have a nice Fuller and Johnson planter but there might be one or two things that could be done differently . . . I'm not sure.
I do know this much; if we do change something it will be only after plenty of thought and research.
but one thing we might do is, we could put that Bonanza seat on it.
It's awesome to see an implement with the correct cast-iron seat where it belongs.

Attachments

EmersonFan

Registered
Last Subscription Date
04/02/2018

OK, just a few more - for those of you who were there; this should get you to post your pictures. For those who weren't, this should make you realize how AWESOME Baraboo is. If there is something you want to see, I might have it. I'm not a photographer, just a guy with a pocket camera.

I can't resist hog oilers. They are just unique, and they attract a unique group of people.
At PAMA, we have about 26 or so.
This guy knows almost exactly what we have.
JUst a regular hog-oiler expert, he is.
I can't wait to get him to help me put names on some of ours that I haven't been able to look up.

Attachments

EmersonFan

Registered
Last Subscription Date
04/02/2018

Ah, the sights and sounds.
Makes me wonder where the circus went. . . wait, that is here in Baraboo also!
Maybe next trip I'll go to the Steam show one day and the circus the next day?

GregSenn

Registered

I was there also. Fabulously well done show... 12 hp hit and miss turning 6 homemade ice cream makers simultaneously! And a bowl for 1.50. Almost as cheap as when I was a kid. Excellent flea market w unusual old items too. Thanks for sharing.