• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in all blanks. IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS, GIVE YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! We get hundreds of applications, so there is no time to deal with missing information.

Barbecue grill ignitor

Bill Geyer

Registered
Last Subscription Date
01/30/2013
I have seen them and cigarette lighter igniters used on model and full size engines at shows. Never have tried it yet myself.

Chuck Woycke

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/12/2020
many years ago someone posted on harry's sie about a pizzo/petizo? ignition for gas engines using a simple lighter,they had plans ect to build one,they also had how tomake a look alike magneto wico ek using the same stuff.check harry's ark.chuck

Brian.P

Registered
Last Subscription Date
01/27/2015
this is one with the BBQ igniter runs nice engine fires 3 times a minute this engine had a igniter and Webster
i bought it set up this way
i don't know how long a igniter would last if it had to fire often but on this engine will run all day

Attachments

Elden DuRand

In Memory Of
Last Subscription Date
12/22/2017
Bob:

The grill lighter units are called "piezoelectric spark pumps". The word is pronounced, pie-eez-oh electric. These guys get their spark from a special man made crystal that gives off a Voltage pulse when you bend, then release it.

Briggs & Stratton (I think) used them for a short time on their engines for ignition but I suppose that out in the real world of dirt, heat, etc. they didn't hold up. I think all were recalled.

They don't put out quite as big a spark as a magneto but, if you do it right, they should work fine on slow engines and away from most of the heat.

Take care - Elden:wave:
http://www.oldengine.org/members/durand/

Tom Sampson

Registered
Last Subscription Date
01/07/2015
I saw one that a amish fellow in Pa had used for his engine. It ran fine. :)
Tom

Jack Hottel

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/02/2020
Elmer Shaffer of PA used a piezo ignitor on his miniature engines 30 years ago. It worked fine and did not shock you if you touched the HV terminal. (And did not touch the engine.)
Jack Hottel
Peerless 50

Chuck Woycke

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/12/2020
Bob:

The grill lighter units are called "piezoelectric spark pumps". The word is pronounced, pie-eez-oh electric. These guys get their spark from a special man made crystal that gives off a Voltage pulse when you bend, then release it.

Briggs & Stratton (I think) used them for a short time on their engines for ignition but I suppose that out in the real world of dirt, heat, etc. they didn't hold up. I think all were recalled.

They don't put out quite as big a spark as a magneto but, if you do it right, they should work fine on slow engines and away from most of the heat.

Take care - Elden:wave:
http://www.oldengine.org/members/durand/
elden i knew what it was just couldn't spell it:shrug: thanks

Rick I

Registered
Chuck Balyeat is a sponsor. He has a Wico/piezo setup on his website.
http://royalcrossfarm.com/WICOMAGmod.html
Erik Grund
Back in the day (~2002) there was informational text at the top of this .jpg. I have no idea where I got the image from, but it said: "The button on the igniter has to travel 10mm, which is done with a lever operated by the downward pull of the moving core. A reduction of about 4 1/2 to 1 is required because of the limited travel of the core. This system has unlimited application because of the simplicity of operation. For instance, a machine with a magneto missing it could be set up to operate off a cam. As for the life of the igniter I do not know but it has been running my 3 H.P. Challenge for some time & still going strong. At a cost of $3 it is worth while to get your machine running."

-Rick

F

Franz

Best I recall, Evinrude outboard motors back in the 60s offered the piezio ignition as the great problem solving invention of the century.

Seems like it might have been in Popular Mechanics back then.

Nathan K.

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
03/24/2019
HI, I thought some of you might like to see the igniter that I made for my 1921
stover 1 1/2HP K that was sold buy T.eaton in CAN. This engine came with a webster mag.(long gone) and had been made to run with a buzz coil, however none of the parts were usable. I used the replacement igniter unit for a barbecue and took the parts from it putting them in a steel block, making my own hammer and trip to use all the original parts left on the engine. The engine seems to start and run quite good with it so I'm happy with the project.

Nathan.

Attachments

BMiller

Registered
Last Subscription Date
12/26/2018
The piezo crystals have two durability problems:

1. If you bend them too far, they crack, ruining them

2. They are water soluble. (think of salt crystals, only bigger) Igniters that use them generally coat the crystal with a flexible watertight plastic coating, but as we know, "watertight" is a big word, kind of like "foolproof".

Bill Miller

Tom Martin

Registered
Last Subscription Date
02/05/2012
B.Miller: While some piezo materials may be water soluble, the oldest and most common is quartz and quartz is not water soluble, and the common method of generating an electrical charge is by compressing and releasing compression on a thin layer of the piezo material rather than by bending. The military uses piezo electric fuzes in armor piercing projectiles, so you can bet that longevity and durability are not problems!

Bill Sherlock

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/09/2019
Nathan,

Good looking set up you made there. Could pass for origional to someone not knowing different. Hope it continues to function for a long time. Let us know in a couple of years if it's still working OK, or maybe sooner if it quits?

Bill

Nathan K.

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
03/24/2019
HI, Thanks Bill, I spent a long time trying to make it look ok and work. It has
only been to one show but it had a lot of interest there. I also made the mixer
and had some problems,(had too add a venturi ) this caused me to try hitting
the piezo too hard and did crack the end. Since puting a new one in with a
lighter spring I have had no problems.
Nathan.

enginenut2

Registered
Clinton engines offered their "spark pump" around 1960.It was a piezoelectric device and I don't think it was offered very long.I always thought the ignition system on the Clintons to be inferior in any form to B&S and the reason they fell from grace.The engines were very common in the late 50's-early 60's but I sure got a lot of practice trying to keep them running in our small town.A little bit about the "spark pump" can be found in early small engine manuals.