• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When registering, please provide your CITY and STATE as your location!

Barlow A1 (2 stroke) engine

Scotty 2

Registered
Hello all
Recently we took out little Barlow engine out to a rally and it was commented that the fuel tank didn't look right.
Sure is a nice looking small Engine but that is a hell of a big fuel tank on it. I doubt it would be original size. Cheers, John
https://www.smokstak.com/forum/threads/allora-heritage-weekend-25th-and-26th-of-january-2020.197090/
I asked what it should be like as my research may be wrong, but no reply. So instead of getting that thread off track I thought it would be better to start a thread about that particular little engine.
It has also been mentioned by a couple of people about mis-information on the interwebby thingo so this thread is also to clarify what should be or shouldn't be about these funny little engines from Ballina. You can make up your own mind if the fuel tank is right or wrong. I reckon it's pretty close but I'm more then willing to listen to other information people may have which will help myself and, hopefully, others to get these little engines closer to how they were made.

So here is the little engine in question. It is a little engine. Nothing surer. It'll sit on a block 12" square apparently. The fuel tank is less then 3 litres in capacity.

Cheers Scott

This is a picture the mounting position was based on

And this is the literature the size was based on. (about 1/2 way up on the RHS)

Dobbo56

Registered
Great little engine , I saw a couple at the rusty iron rally last year and was inpressed with them
Dobbo

rodneyt

Registered
just like a newspaper, its all there in black and white, and red all over. good enough for me, cheers Rod.

Scotty 2

Registered
Great little engine , I saw a couple at the rusty iron rally last year and was inpressed with them
Dobbo
Hello Dobbo
More then likely they would have been type D's or E's. The belt drive is certainly different on them. If you saw a couple of other 2 strokes then you are a lucky, lucky person. I seems as though The Rusty Iron is the place to go to see Barlow engines when you look at pictures of The Rusty Iron through the years.
At this years Allora Heritage Week-end there was a type F. A big 4hp Barlow. I forgot to take pictures as it also has some pretty 'different' features like a water well in the base and a water pump to pump water up through the cooling jacket which then dribbles back down to the holding tank.
Below is the type D with different names on the doors

Type E http://www.oldengine.org/members/pml/ri04/RI040018.JPG