• If you like what you see here and your interests are compatible with our 30,000 other users, Welcome. Fill out the registration form with your interests, your real name (seen only by moderators) and your city, state or country. Your account is then manually checked and approved. There is too much funny business on the web for us to do otherwise. Be sure to use a working email address and do not use cloaking or anonymous web connections.

Barlow Engines

Rob.S

Registered
Last Subscription Date
05/15/2014
:shrug: I have got this Barlow engine in the shed and i need some parts to finish it of .I need to know how the throtle hooks up to the governer and i need a magneto gear .if anyone out there can help me it would be appreciated . :)

Attachments

62EKHoldenute

Registered
Hi Rob,

have you been able to get the Barlow running? i have one in the shed missing all of the governor.
any chance you can send through a few photos of the weights and the gear drive. governor arm length.
thanks
Carl

Scotty 2

Registered
Hello Carl.
If Rob can't help you with information you need then I should be able to find ours in the shed and get pictures and dimensions etc.

Has yours got the belt pulley? We've been looking for a belt pulley for a 2 stroke.

Cheers Scott

Rob.S

Registered
Last Subscription Date
05/15/2014
wow .this post is quit a few years old .This engine is now in new hands and running well I believe

Scotty 2

Registered
Hello Cobba
Thanks for the offer but the Barlow pulley and tensioner are, how can I say this??.....well weird. In the picture below you can see a gear just to the left of the flywheel. The pulley is driven off this gear. The round casting to the left of the gear is where the pulley 'holder-upperer' sits and the pulley rotates around this bit of round casting. The rotation gave the belt it's tension so you could 'idle'a machine or have it driven by pulling the lever with the weight on it. The adjustable weight gave adjustable tension.
I do have some patent details in some documents but they're not on this computer it seems :mad:
Anyways, they're kinda similar to the type D's below below. They weren't just a belt drive. They were also a gear reduction and belt drive as seen in the video.

Cheers Scott

cobbadog

Registered
Straight don to a deserted railway yard fella and pick up a handle and weight to change over the points, your halfway there. :O