• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When registering, please provide your CITY and STATE as your location!

Be CAREFUL What you Click on the Web

Harry

Administrator
Staff member
I was just reading the hurricane report on fox news and happened to click on one of their side ads.

NOT GOOD! A page pops with a couple of warnings about a virus and I was to call this phone number or all my files would be infected, blah, blah, blah. Don't close this window or we will delete all files on tour computer, blah, blah, blah.

I did a CTRL/Alt/Delete which brings up the Task Manager, selected Firefox, ENDED the task and it was gone.

Fine, except that when you bring Firefox up again, it comes up with the same damned crap on the screen. So I ran the task manager again and dumped it. Then I ran CCleaner, which empties the cookies and temporary internet files, ran Firefox again and it was clean.

Be careful, there's a World Wide Web of crap out there! Run Malwarebytes Anti-Malware to be sure your computer is not contaminated. Mine is NOT.

Power

Registered
Yes, Been getting that off and on for several months on all our computers. Occurs when someone clicks on a add or supposed article on a celebrity or presidential candidate. We do same thing you did. I have done very thorough virus/ malware scans afterwards and found NOTHING.
I suspect if you call the number and follow t heir advice, then you will have big problems.

I like oldstuff

Registered
Last Subscription Date
11/09/2015
+1 on the malwarebytes.

I run it ~monthly and yesterday it turned up about 16 PUP's as they call them. (potentially unwanted programs)
These were registry entries and although the machine runs well I told malwarebytes to delete them.

If you don't have MWB, download it and run it regularly.

Craig A

Staff member
Last Subscription Date
12/20/2015
Unless you get hit with a "drive by ransom ware" that encrypts all your files against which there is NO protection........ :eek:
Your only line of defense is back up, back up, backup.

Brothers Clemens

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/08/2018
Same problems overhere.

There are computer terrorists and crooks busy the hole day in try to rip you off.....:mad:

Harry

Administrator
Staff member
Firefox users BEWARE! Here's another one! DON'T DO IT!

Random web sites are trying to download crapware into your computer!

Attachments

Harry

Administrator
Staff member
They just keep coming in. This one links out to a bit.ly shortened link on all buttons. If you do a right-click and copy link location, you can then paste it into your notepad.

Attachments

Elden DuRand

In Memory Of
Last Subscription Date
12/22/2017
I got the same ugly warning with a very irritating buzzing. Every time I tried to exit Firefox, it popped up another warning.

I couldn't even get to the task manager so I simply turned off the power to the machine. Windoze didn't like that so I had to pass-up the "do you want to start in Safe Mode" question.

Once booted back up I ran Malware Bytes and it found a bunch of crap.

I ran it again yesterday and it found a bunch of PUP's (Potentially Unwanted Programs) which I deleted.

It's a jungle out there!

I like oldstuff

Registered
Last Subscription Date
11/09/2015
I clickied something yesterday on a well used site (not here) and the screen made a couple odd flashes that normally I wouldn't give a second thought. Hmmm. I shut the box down, restarted and ran MWB. It found some PUP's.