Bed Planer weight - 12' Hendrie & Bolthoff

Anvil Mountain

I recently acquired an antique flat belt powered bed planer. I need to determine the weight so I can rent the appropriate forklift. It's made by The Hendrie & Bolthoff Mfg. and Supply Co of Denver. The entire frame is 12' long with a traveling bed length of 6'. Any ideas to it's weight - I'm estimating about 8000lb, but need to be sure?
Thanks in advance,
Lowell

Attachments

ronm

Subscriber
Are you sure the Hendrie & Bolthoff ID isn't a dealer plate? H&B used to be a big tool dealer in Colorado, I don't think they manufactured anything, but I could be wrong...I remember a H&B store in Grand Junction when I was a kid. Later turned into American Parts.
I used to have a ball-pien hammer from H&B, lost it somewhere along the line. :(

Edit: googled around, & H&B did in fact build mining equipment, so it's possible they did make planers...the reference I found said it's not clear whether they built or sold rebadged equipment by other builders. They were quite a prominent company in Denver.

here's a link:http://vintagemachinery.org/mfgindex/detail.aspx?id=961

IronworkerFXR

Subscriber
I think my 10,000 # would get lite with that, and next size up is 15,000# machine weighing in at at least 20,000#. remember ratings are pretty close to middle of forks with about 3' of lift .

alskdjfhg

A "heavy" Cincinnati 24" planer weighted 6200lbs, the standard weighed 5000lbs. 500lbs per extra foot for the heavy and 400 for the standard.

Not an exact match, but should give you an idea.

---------- Post added at 04:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:07 PM ----------

Looking back, the planer looks very much like a Cincinnati from the teens, so my number in the previous post are probably pretty close.

A "heavy" Cincinnati 24" planer weighted 6200lbs, the standard weighed 5000lbs. 500lbs per extra foot for the heavy and 400 for the standard.

Not an exact match, but should give you an idea.

---------- Post added at 04:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:07 PM ----------

Looking back, the planer looks very much like a Cincinnati from the teens, so my number in the previous post are probably pretty close.
Thanks for the detailed explanation. I think I saw one of these models at Chariots GCS.