• If you like what you see here and your interests are compatible with our 30,000 other users, Welcome. Fill out the registration form with your interests, your real name (seen only by moderators) and your city, state or country. Be certain that you have spelled your email address correctly! Your account is then manually checked and approved.

Bessemer 20HP, first run, Somerset Steam and Gas

Brad Kelley

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
This year, the Somerset Steam and Gas Engine Association received a generous donation of a nearly complete oil drilling rig, including the drilling derrick, pumpjack, and a 20HP Bessemer. We've been working feverishly to get the exhibit setup for our show this weekend (Sept. 7-9), and yesterday we got the engine running for the first time.

Here's a couple videos of the first run of the Bessemer at it's new home.

---------- Post added at 01:23:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:20:38 PM ----------

Here's another view of the engine running in its new powerhouse.

Brad Kelley

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
Re: Bessemer 20HP, first run, Somerset steam and gas

Here is a photo of our exhibit, still a work in progress.

And some photos of the site where the rig was recovered from, just outside Charlottesville, Virginia. There's a story to tell about the whole thing and how it got to Virginia (where there's no oil), but I'll post that some other time, maybe after our show.

Attachments

Jeff Wahl

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
10/02/2019

Wish I could make the show and see it in person! Will be up in Maine helping my parents out. Hope you have great time!

MBH

Registered

Excellent. Always looked forward to the Pasture Party when I was stationed in DC.